Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans weren\'t good sailors? Why :?
It isn't required that everybody on a galley be an experienced sailor, anyhow. If there's a good navigator, a responsive few crew to work the steering rudders and trim the sail, and a captain that knows what to do and understands the weather, the oarsmen just need to row as directed.

In combat, strategy would have to be mostly worked out ahead of time, as signalling wasn't quite as refined as ours is today, nor were the vessels as maneuverable.

Many ships were lost in storms, because they just weren't as seaworthy as ships are today. Just a little too much water over the gunwale (I wonder what they called that before guns??) and the ship would not respond, another wave or two and down she goes. Can't batten down the hatches on an open boat.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:the oarsmen just need to row as directed
Hi David
When did your subscription to AW run out again? :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Dave that's exactly to what I am refering, as in bad seamanship. from the Admiral. The fleet lost off of Sicily was due to the Admiral, who was really a land General, in charge of the navy, deciding to sail into the weather when advised not to by more experienced, but lesser ranking seamen.

Lost the fleet and the army.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:When did your subscription to AW run out again?
After year one. Let me guess, there's a feature article about sailors?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
A whole themed issue about triremes in which, I recall, this point is made more than once.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Some Roman authors pointed out that they were not a seafaring nation. This wasn’t necessarily a true statement, by the way, but was indicative of how the Romans viewed themselves. They didn’t define themselves simply, like how the Carthaginians were great sailors or the Greeks were great philosophers.
Good quote!

Its also related to the way upper-class Romans tried to hide (or at least play down- Cato wasn't ashamed to bring his bundle of olives into the Senate House) the role of trade in Roman history. If in the good old days every Roman was a simple peasant farmer or a virtuous, modestly wealthy gentleman, it followed that none of them had anything to do with the sea. It wasn't true, but patriotic legends rarely are.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
A few good books go into this in excellent detail.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, see, there ya go. I had you backing me up all the time, and didn't even know it. Power to the empoverished!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Links for Good Romans/Byzantines! Ioannes_Ahenobarbus 0 979 08-01-2008, 03:12 AM
Last Post: Ioannes_Ahenobarbus
  Ancient Sailors / Sail Decorations SvenLittkowski 0 996 01-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Last Post: SvenLittkowski
  Where \'de Sailors At? Carlton Bach 0 805 06-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Carlton Bach