Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben-Hur Has Run His Final Race -- Heston Dead at Age 84
Indeed. I can't really think of many actors that could star in a movie about talking apes taking over the Earth as something other than a comedy and actually make it stirring and dramatic enough to overshadow the silliness of the essential plotline. Charlton Heston was definately one of a dying breed of actors which perhaps died with him. He has as much respect from me as I'm willing to give anyone that I do not know personally.

Its people. Soylent Green is made out of people. Confusedhock:
I couldn't resist. It seems randomly turning posts into topics about cannibalism is this weeks trend at RAT. :wink:
Derek D. Estabrook
Graham,

No doubt seeing him perform on stage was a rare treat to be savored.

I will have to seek out his version of Julius Caesar -- sounds like a production worth watching.

As for Planet of the Apes ... always fun to watch.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:No doubt seeing him perform on stage was a rare treat to be savored.

It certainly was. He had to deliver a very long speech as Captain Queeg which was just fantastic. There was a huge standing ovation at the end. I also noticed that an actor called John Fraser who starred with Heston in El Cid was in the audience.

Re Julius Caesar, read Hestons comments about it in his book 'In the Arena', they are very valid. I think he was just happy he was doing Shakespeare but the standing of any Roman type 'epic' was just non existent in 1969 only a few years after the heady days of the early sixties.

Planet of the Apes, certainly a classic and Heston gave it gravitas.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Soylent Green is one of my all time favourite films. The farewell scene to his friend Sol is beautifully played, and the film still receives the occcasional nod (Futurama - Soylent Cola; the taste varies from person to person - The Simpsons, and even South Park).

Heston always gave a part his 100% all, regardless of the subject or the quality, and never sold the audience short.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Soylent Green is one of my all time favourite films. The farewell scene to his friend Sol is beautifully played, and the film still receives the occcasional nod (Futurama - Soylent Cola; the taste varies from person to person - The Simpsons, and even South Park).

We had a Soylent Green reference in my office recently. We were ordering a group lunch from a local Chinese restaurant. When we looked over the menu (click here to read their typo!), someone shouted "Stay away from #C24!!!! IT'S PEOPLE!!!!" Confusedhock: :lol:
CASSIVS ANTONIVS CRISPVS
aka Chris Stewart
[Image: 43ef68_2f6cc79f005f46bc8d9f47d13dd81201~mv2.png]
OPTIO - LEGIO XI CLAVDIA PIA FIDELIS
http://www.11thlegion.net