Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Passion BBC
Hi
Next week we will be treated to a four hour epic on the BBC over the Easter season. The Passion, filmed in Morrocco will apparently show some characters in a new light according to a feature in the Radio Times. Pontius Pilate for instance will be shown sympathetically. Unlike his portrayal in the New Testament I suppose which shows him..... well in a sympathetic light I thought!

Anyway for the purists in spite if the usual promises of authenticity expect lots of leather and odd looking helmets!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
On this side of the Atlantic, we won't. We'll just get election coverage, and Easter bunny cartoons. Graham, if that program is available on US style DVD, I'd like to get a copy, leather armor and all.

It's hard to be too hard on Pilatus, after all. He wasn't all that great of a governor, and his primary tasks were to keep the peace with the local leaders and make sure the taxes and tributes kept coming in. To him, execution of someone considered to be a Jewish troublemaker to the local priests wasn't such a big deal.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:To him, execution of someone considered to be a Jewish troublemaker to the local priests wasn't such a big deal.
Dunno. I think a case can be made to defend him against slander; go here. Both Josephus and Philo are biased against the man.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Interesting article Jona -- thanks for the link! Smile

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
It figures that Josephus would be against Pilate, as there were several improprieties recorded and various heavy handed tactics and outright brutality against the locals won't endear a governor to many citizens.

Eventually, wasn't he recalled to Rome for some of those poor judgements?

Anyway, you said
Quote:Stories about Pilate's doubts and Jewish agitation may have been exaggerated if not invented.
or, they may be understated, as the Gospels aren't intended to be political commentary except as relates to Jesus' not intending to set up a physical kingdom at that time, and His refusal to accept a crown by acclamation of the citizens. But I'm dangerously close to the brink here.

I don't see Pilate myself as well meaning, but I do see him as manipulative, and seeking to do the least damage to his own career, while exerting the force and authority of Rome beyond a reasonable measure, considering the people he was attempting to rule. His real problem was that he didn't research them well enough, and didn't take into account that they had a history that went back some 600 years before Rome's founding, and that they were totally committed to their heritage. He could probably have averted much bloodshed if he had.

Eagles on the Temple, indeed!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:He wasn't all that great of a governor, and his primary tasks were to keep the peace with the local leaders and make sure the taxes and tributes kept coming in.

We really only hear hostile opinions on his administration. However according to Tacitus during his rule Judaea was peaceful! That is something which even today we don't equate with that region. He was also kept in post longer than almost any other governor that we know of. The normal period of office was 2-3 years but Pilate was there for 10. Hardly evidence of a bad governor!
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:The Passion, filmed in Morrocco will apparently show some characters in a new light according to a feature in the Radio Times. Pontius Pilate for instance will be shown sympathetically.

Yes, I heard about this film already. I hear they're going to try to exonerate Judas. Unfortunately, the film sounds like the latest effort in revisionist circles to rehabilitate his traditional role, IMO.

About Pilate : Eusebius says that Pilate committed suicide during his exile under Caligula. We know so little about the man but whatever his fate was, Ponitus Pilate is probably the most famous Roman who ever lived (Julius Caesar included).

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:... as there were several improprieties recorded and various heavy handed tactics ... won't endear a governor to many citizens.

I thought we were not supposed to discuss modern politics...

R. Izard
(sorry, couldn't resist....)
OOOH, Ralph! You're in good form today. A laud for your wit.
They tried to make a half laud just for me, but so far, no luck. :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:About Pilate : Eusebius says that Pilate committed suicide during his exile under Caligula. We know so little about the man but whatever his fate was, Ponitus Pilate is probably the most famous Roman who ever lived (Julius Caesar included).

~Theo

That might make for an interesting poll: Who is the most famous Roman?
Or said another way: Who is the most widely known Roman

I suspect you are correct that Pontius Pilate is well known, very well known. However I think Julius Caesar and perhaps even Caligula would have him beat.

Of course, conducting the poll among ourselves is somewhat pointless as we know all of these names and more. Still the results of such a poll given to a wide cross section of the public might prove interesting and certainly amusing. :? roll: Confusedhock: Smile

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Saw the prewiews this week.
I'm going for the entertaining story, looking at the Roman equipment i have my doubst.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
The Roman equipment is... bleugh. :?

For a start they've attempted a legionary look.

Weird, too short and too flat rectangular scuta. The helmets (bronze-coloured) look like the illegitimate offspring of an early Imperial Italic and a baseball cap. Mutant caligae. Flimsy pieces of leather (not even stiffened) instead of armour. The usual bright red tunics and cloaks.

Still, at least they're wearing their swords (Mainz-pattern) on the right!

Pilate's gone for the military look. Leather muscle cuirass (though at least it's rigid) with some microscopic pteruges. Not too bad, but you would have thought, as an aristocrat and provincial governor, he could have found someone to give him a decent shave!

You'd think they could have got something better - the BBC have got plenty of reasonable equipment knocking about after their documdramas on Roman history over the last couple of years.

The locals look depressingly Arab in their dress, as usual. Interestingly he does only seem to be carrying the crosspiece of the cross, though.

From the BBC website:
[Image: Passion.jpg]
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens