Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cornu / Buccina question
Hi

Does anyone know an old publication where this illustration of a cornu or buccina might have first appeared?

Alternatively does anyone know if there is an original Roman source for an instrument with this animal head shaped bell?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hi Graham,

this seems to be the original publication.

But no idea about the roman source. Perhaps a misinterpretation by the artist.
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Looks like an old 1600-1700's illustration of a cornu. The artist probably had just based his cornu of Trajan's Column or some other monument and added some features. Also, look at his sandals, they do not look like any Roman shoes I can think of, probably another misinterpretation.
Regards, Jason
Thanks Andreas!

Graham,
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:But no idea about the roman source. Perhaps a misinterpretation by the artist.

Quote:Also, look at his sandals, they do not look like any Roman shoes I can think of, probably another misinterpretation.
I doubt whether misinterpretation comes into it. Illustrators of the 17th and 18th centuries had their own ideas of what a Roman soldier should look like, usually entirely fanciful. Consider this title page from a book of 1616:

[attachment=11495]LaMiliceRomaine.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Probably the missinterpretation are mixing a roman cornu with a carnyx or similar celtic instruments. Both of them taken from monuments as triumphal arcs, full of weapons trophy.