Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobnail Translation Required
From an Oil Lamp, any Ideas?

[attachment=11303]Fremersdorf1926lamp.JPG[/attachment]
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
not really my area of knowledge, but I can come up wit two possibilities (but there migth be other/better ones):
inviis - impassable
niviis - snow (I think it reads niviiso, but my last lesson in Latin is already 13 years ago....)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Impassable sounds good though I thought it may be Greek as the only other one I know off is from Alexandria... well its all Greek to me for all I know its upside down and mirrored Confusedmile:

I tried an online translator and in came up with:

Inviis: reciprocally, one after the other, by turns, mutually, each other.....

If this is the case it sounds like a joke.... but it looks like there's more to it then that...

[attachment=11306]Fremersdorf1926lampmirror.jpg[/attachment]
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Well, it can be 'turn around' indeed, as it will then advice the enemy to 'turn around' e.g. flee. Most of these small messages (and those on sling bullets) were often such small joke's for the enemy.
ALA I BATAVORUM
It looks more like "Niviis" than "Inviis." IIRC that's nominative/genetive for snow.

Would make sense, and be kind of funny. Like a label.
I'm thinking more in terms of a generic context rather then specifically military, it is after all from an oil lamp... in the style of a short closed boot with open toes I think rather then a sandal, but its not very clear...

But that said...
In "modern" english you may call Foot Soldiers PBI "Poor Bl**dy Infantry" or "Foot Sloggers".. I guess in a military context perhaps the Romans may have had something similar...

Also its a bit of joke on a shoe to put "instructions" on sole to put "one foot in front of the other"... if you get my meaning....
Ivor

I think "one after the other" would be quite amusing (if you were following these footsteps).
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I think that it could be a name in the ablative: 'NIVESO' or, possibly, 'AEVESO' - 'by Nivesus (or Aevesus)'. (I believe that two 'I's together can stand for 'E' but would need an epigraphist to confirm this.) If the lamp were produced for a cobbler, as seems likely, and if he actually made sandals with that pattern of nails, every footprint would be an advertisement for his business. I would not put it past an enterprising Roman tradesman to come up with that sort of marketing ploy.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:I believe that two 'I's together can stand for 'E' but would need an epigraphist to confirm this.

I'm no epigraphist, but I believe so too. I was looking at an inscription just yesterday (from Vasio in Gallia Narbonensis) that had exactly that.

Ingenious! Idea
Nathan Ross
Heheh. It'd be really funny if a pattern was found that said "I'm Not A Roman [Soldier]" Big Grin

Nothing to see here. No Romans…Go About your business...
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Considering commoners didn't actually know classical latin spelling, and we see incorrect spellings allt he time in grafitti and inscriptions or written pieces, I wouldn't be surprised if he was using double "I" for an E (E makes an "eh" sound like the Fonz though).
Thanks all for your reply's I think that Nails it :grin:
Ivor

Don't think it has been mentioned, but I believe the symbol at the toe end is an "Ivy Leaf". A common symbol in Roman times associated with eternal life.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:Don't think it has been mentioned, but I believe the symbol at the toe end is an "Ivy Leaf". A common symbol in Roman times associated with eternal life.

Thanks I wondered what that was Wink
Ivor