Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faking Woven in Orbiculi the Mad Way
Hello

just trying a little fake so to say. Or in other words, I'm trying out a rather time intensive way to reproduce late roman / coptic tunics when you don't have the possibility to produce the complete tunic. The approach that seems to come closest is alos the most time intensive unfortunately: take out the weft from the linen base material in the form of the orbiculus and then "weave" in the woollen weft thread with a needle. Takes quite a bit of time as I'm coming to realize. Good thing I'm not a TV addict :-P
OTOH it looks like I'm getting quite good optics out of it and can actually reproduce the technique used with the original I try to copy ("4/2, floating, grouped and crossing warp threads" (from Pritchard, Frances & Chris Verhecken-Lammens. 2001. "Two Wide-Sleeved Linen Tunics from Roman Egypt" in The Roman Textile Industry and its Influence (Rogers, Penelope Walton, Lise Bender Jørgensen & Antoiette Rast-Eicher eds.). Oxbow Books, Oxford.(pp. 21-29), p24).
Small pics of the original are here (zoom view doesn't work :-( ).

Here 2 pics (max diameter ca. 8 cm):

front
[Image: IMG_9074.jpg]

back
[Image: IMG_9033.jpg]
Well, I must say the pictures totally reflect the title. This really is the mad way Big Grin But well, I like the result sofar. It's looking very good and I'm looking forward to the finished piece.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I had a conversation about this with a few people a couple of years ago - I did some myself and it took the best part of 5 hours to embellish a 3 inch diameter area - and that was just the base colour....

The cost of a fully embellished tunic in that method would cost about the same as a fully 'woven in' garment from stratch!

it does look good though....
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Quote:The cost of a fully embellished tunic in that method would cost about the same as a fully 'woven in' garment from stratch!

Quite true. But I can rather afford spending the time than the money :-)
That would be enormously labor-intensive, but when done (finally) would be well worth the trouble, I think, for the real purist. If I ever get to the point of making fancily embroidered orbiculae, I will probably use them in applique' rather than woven. I get frustrated when a project takes more than three million hours of time. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
looks great, good idea martin Big Grin
Quote:I get frustrated when a project takes more than three million hours of time. :lol:

Me too - I hope to get by with about two and a half ;-)
Dare I ask if this tunic is finished yet? I think a few months is million hours of time... :wink:

And if it is finished may we see some pictures please?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Any news yet?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orbiculi? Carlton Bach 2 1,306 04-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Last Post: aitor iriarte