Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Battle standars and the "Standard" of Ur
I looked through the index and couldn't find anything on this. I'm doing a research paper for my Neolithic and Bronze age class on the "Standard" of Ur and I'm trying to suggest other possible uses for it. So what I want to do is research whether or not one can see a connection between this "Standard" and the Roman battle standards. I haven't been able to come across any books or articles discussing this. If someone could suggest a good book or article that discusses the origins of the Roman standards I would be much appreciative. Or possibly anything related to the "Standard" of Ur and other standards.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
welcom to the board.<br>
<br>
I know of the "Standard of Ur". But i fail to see a connection. Are you referring to the column of Trajan perhaps?<br>
<br>
Check this site for good info about the column of Trajan :<br>
<br>
[url=http://cheiron.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~trajan/" target="top]Trajan column[/url]<br>
<br>
gr, jeroen <p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
No, not the column, I know about that. I'm talking about the Eagle standard that was carried into battle, on a poll, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, maybe I'm not using the right terminology. Sir Leonard Woolley wo excavated the Royal Tomb of Ur assumed that the "Standard" of Ur was such, and was carried into battle by a standard bearor on a pole of some sort, but other people have said that it could be some other things. I'm trying to find out the history behind the Roman eagle standard and other standards to see if one can draw any connections between the two. Hope that clarifies. <p></p><i></i>
There are actually quite a few threads on the subject, and can be found on this thread [url=http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm1.showMessage?topicID=102.topic" target="top]here.[/url]<br>
<br>
Scroll down to the heading that says "Standards and Signals", it's sandwhiched between "Sources" on top, and "Tactics" beneath it. It is the 3rd heading from the bottom.<br>
<br>
Good luck. <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
There a quite a few threads in the index that Magnus mentioned. Should give you enough reading material.<br>
Just for your info, the Romans had several standards :<br>
<br>
- <em>vexillum</em> : a small flag, carried by a <em>vexillarius</em>. One used by a legion, bearing its name. Others were used by detachments of a legion (called <em>vexillations</em>).<br>
- <em>signum</em> : a standard of a century/ maniple, carried by a <em>signifer</em><br>
- <em>aquila</em> : the famous eagle-standard, carried by an <em>aquilifer</em>. Each roman legion had one of these.<br>
- <em>imago</em> : a small portait of the emperor.<br>
<br>
Good luck!<br>
<br>
gr, jeroen <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pelgr003>pelgr003</A> at: 4/5/03 10:51:57 pm<br></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Thanks a bunch guys, you're much more helpful that my history prof. <p></p><i></i>
Well, if you have other questions regarding the Roman army, don't be to shy to ask. <p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I seem to remember that Julius Caesar's uncle Marius was the one who made the Eagle the er... standard standard for all legions. 1st century BC, so presumably before that, they would have been individual symbols, totem animals etc.<br>
<br>
Sounds like an interesting course you're doing.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,992 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus