Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appearance of Greek goddesses
I'm writing something about the clothing worn by the ancient Greek goddesses, and from the depictions I've seen it appears that most of them dressed like ordinary Greek women.

But then there are some famous "trademark" articles worn like Aphrodite's girdle, Athena's war gear etc.

Does anyone here know of any other legendary items worn by Greek goddesses worth mentioning?

I have a pretty good grasp on the major gods and goddesses in Greek mythology, but there so many minor deities that I'm afraid I might miss something.
Artemis:

Short chiton, bow, quiver (and arrows), fancy Thracian boots, animal hide "cloak" (deerskin?). Usually has hunting dogs or stags with her. There are some swell pics of archaic and classical Artemis in the Google image database once you are past the artsy-fartsy fantasy stuff.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Thanks Cheryl... just making sure I don't forget someone. From what I can see most of them were depicted with similar clothing (chiton, polos headdress) and were identified by the items the carried, not their clothing.
Athena sometimes wore the aegis, depicted as a goatskin mantle. Ceres (technically not greek) wore a mural crown. The cross-dressing Dionysus wore a woman's gown, if that counts.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Goddesses Images (Help) Doc 9 1,932 10-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Last Post: zakhx150