Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient myth (NSFW)
On a website, I stumbled across the Renaissance or Baroque etching below. It is obviously a scene from classical myth. But which one? To the best of my knowledge, Zeus has never assumed the shape of a donkey to, well, meet a girl. Nor is it one of the infamous sex scenes from Apuleius' Golden Ass, because Lucius does not change into a donkey with wings. So, what do we have over here?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Might the female body armour offer a clue perhaps?

There is also a tale that Muhammad flew to haven not on a winged horse but on a winged donkey (Buraq). Therefore this may perhaps be an anti-Islamic cartoon.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
A first impression is one of conflating images and myths.

The investigation should start by finding out who's the painter and what's the name of this work (if it has any).
Drago?
Someone with reasons to remain anonymous sent me the solution. The engraving is from the 1761 edition of The Maid of Orleans - a satire on Joan of Arc published in France. You can read more about it here.
Quote:"The most obscene material that marks the conclusion of the 1761 Maid of Orleans - the consummation of desire between Joan and her winged donkey - is missing entirely from the 1762 edition."
Thanks!!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:a satire on Joan of Arc
I knew it, that armour meant something. The donkey got me sidetracked. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I thought it was Bellerophon's wife...
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"