Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feriale Duranum
Ave,

Does anyone on the list have a complete Feriale Duranum? Didn't find much on a RAT search and only get bits and pieces from web searches. Have tidbits like,.....that Germanicus" birthday was on the list , as was Julius Caesar. ....other web sources say it was the emperors coronation day and not the birthday of the reigning emperor that was celebrated. Some sources say that the emperor's family were also included.....that could maybe crowd the calendar. Obviously, the foundation date of the respective legions was celebrated, as was the date of the foundation of Rome. From the Dura Europas example the holiday calendar also extended to the aux. cohorts, would they celebrate their foundation day as well ? Would their celebrations be markedly different or would they adhere to roman patterns?

Also a related question,...how were these celebrated, Minimum duty with a unit parade and a feast in the mess. Sacrifice and speeches , some combination of the two ,...or something else...........

If this has already been covered in another thread , please point me in that direction.

Regards from a very snowy and cold Balkans, I think we have been abandoned by spring.

Arminius Primus, aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE
Try J. B. Campbell, The Roman Army, 31 BC-AD 337, p. 127 (Document No. 207) at Google Books.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Ave, Duncan et al

Will track down the source referred by Duncan. From the thundering silence on this topic either no one has any information on this or most folks aren't interested. I think it is the former and not the later.

If that is the case then maybe I can put one together, Will have to find some sort of calendar format and then record the dates. Should be able to track down things like emperor birthdays..... might as well include as many as possible as folks do multiple periods. The state religious holidays should be able to be found. May have to spring some cash for the Dura Europas report on the papyrus to get more detail. I believe Ritterling has formation dates for the legions ,....so this may be doable.

Like all projects it will have to compete for time with work etc. So this may take longer than I want or even expect. Will try to post an update from time to time on progress.

Speaking about thundering, severe storms with thunder and lightning last night. Unpleasant surprise this morning was flooded office. Did not lose any equipment !

Regards from a very damp Scupi, Arminius Primus aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE
Salve!
I have a book - Fink R. Roman Military Records on Papyrus.
There are 8 pages in jpg about Feriale Duranum on Latin with English translation. I can send them to you by e-mail.
Marcus Tineius Valens, mil. coh. II Matt. eq.
/Oleg Tiniaev/
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.auxilia.ru">www.auxilia.ru
Ave Marcus,

Please to send to the PM. That will be a great start! While I waited for the flood mess to be sorted out, I moved to our training room. Found a calendar format in word that I can modify to have Modern and Ancient dates, Ides and Kalends and to add in the festivals . Maybe time for some cautious optimism on this effort.

Your offer brightened an otherwise very dreary and depressing day !

Regards from the Balkans, Arminius Primus aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE