Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Sea Byzantine Ship.
Not sure if thisis the right place, but there is a program on the National Geographic channel on Mon night UK, about an intact Byzantine ship in the Black sea, explored by David Ballard, of Titanic fame.
Had anyone heard of this find before? Should be interesting to see the finds recovered.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes, I heard of it several years ago. Ballard was resxearching the Black Sea for another thing (something to do with submerched beaches and a theory about the Great Flood) when they stumbled across this one, on the last day of course. The total lack of organisms caused this wreck, which apparently sunk or rather drifted to the bottom, to be preserved so well.

I've not heard anything about actual dives to the wreck or the recovery of artefacts though.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well hopefully I will learn if they managed to do any work on it monday night! The trailers show quite interesting pictues anyway.
I recall the program or an artical in the magazine about the sunken comunities etc aroung the black sea, due to raising sea level/flood.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The most recent article I've been able to find online was published about a year ago. The wreck, based on recovered coins, is from the 11th century. This article has some photos of the site.

Black Sea Shipwreck Research Project Synopsis

Please post any new information as you learn of it Smile

~Theo
Jaime
Totally different ships!
This one is Byzantine, actually 2 ships in the docu. One off Chersonese, one off south shore of Black sea.

The mast still stands upright, wit ha rope knotted at the top, still intact.
The timbers so preserved you can still see the adze marks in the wood from fabrication.

Due to a toxic layer in the Black sea, no microbes are alive to eat the wood or other organic matter, so the potential is boundless. The amphora look as if they came out of a kiln last week...

Definately worth watching and I would be sending my resume to Ballard today if I thought I could join this work.

Dating was mentioned at 900years old and 1500 hundred years old....will need to watch the whole thing without interruption before I can say which was which...
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Is there any way to raise the ship? I am assuming you would have to raise it while still keeping it submerged in a tank of water but something the size of a ship might make this impossible.
Timothy Hanna
God knows. :?

I think the budget for this was too small to permit a large sacle excavation at the time the program was made. Hopefully he has managed to raise funding to allow a proper 'raising' of the ship....

Or perhaps he is planning to continue searching and mapping similar remains. :?: I feel the book is still open on this.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I saw this maybe last year. I think money,time and territorial waters were an issue to doing anything really constructive.
Of course I could be wrong. My wife tells me I most often am! :oops:
Jon R.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
It wasn't mentioned in the show, which just aired on the National Geographic channel this week. But perhaps they still have that old delay in releasing programs that you used to have on the terrestrial channels
in days of Yore..... :lol:

I would have hoped that was a thing of the past though....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Since organic material is well preserved at some depths of the Black Sea, has anyone considered the possibility of recovering bodies?
Angus Finnigan
Yes, they were looking for every possibility. It would be amazing if some remains were discovered!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel