Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum grip
I always wondered how the Deepeeka scutum's grip would stand up to real usage, IE sparring or combat drill. Since some of the ply on one side of my grip is broken already, guess I have my answer! I wanted to replace it anyway.

I'd thought to use a 2"X2" piece of oak, rasp it down to fit both hand and shield curve, then nail it in place. I'm not sure on the authenticity. Can anyone send photos and/or suggestions?
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Don't nail the grip, rivet this.
Is stronger and it holds longer.
You can use the nail as the rivet.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
I prefer a grip that's integral to the central reinforcing band.. one piece of wood shape and bent to fit. Once the wood is shaped we soak it in water (24hrs) to make it pliant and while its damp fit it to the shield board... make any needed trimmings and adjustment then nail it in place

We generally used clenched nails.. a nail driven through the hand grip into a anvil so that the nail end curves like the end of a paper staple... then affix outer layer of linen and rawhide. Ubber secure.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
And of course remember that the Romans very often used an iron reinforcing bar that was usually it seems the majority of the width of the shield, attached with large head rivets. Clearly they found simple wooden handles insufficient too :wink:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
What do you mean the width of the shield matt? Do you mean that the metal bar went from one edge of the shield to teh other? What thickness of metal would you recommend...1/8"?

Legion: TBD
That's what it seems Mag, yeah- nearly one side to the other. The artifacts I've data on vary from around 1/8" to as much as 1/4".
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Muchas gracias, guys. I cut down an oak pallet I grabbed from work, then once I've cleaned out the nails I'll split one to the desired thickness and work my magic. I'll post a photo once I'm done. That might be a while; between my job, night school and my domita, time is rather short. But it's time well spent.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auxillary Scutum Grip Keith Allen 4 2,077 06-21-2012, 04:00 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Scutum grip question QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS 19 5,220 05-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar