Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age requirements?
Does anyone know the limited age you have to be to reeanact or SCA>
================================================================
John Jenkins

A little man with a big imagination
SCA has no age imitation, except that you may not be involved in heavy weapons fighting until you are a certain age, and you must have a parent or guardian to attend events if you are a minor. There are some fighting activities for pre-teens, younger teens and older teens, but there are also youth activities. Locally we teach maille weaving, (aka making chainmail), heraldry, cross-stitch, card weaving, metal work, and other arts and crafts to minors.

We have some minors attend the Castra Romana and AD43 events with a guardian or parent. Minors are not going to get to do a lot of things, especially involving dangerous weapons, due to legal restrictions.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Most reenactment groups will let you join at any age, though they may have guidelines about what role you can have if you're not an adult. More to the point, some sites (particularly state or federal parks) will forbid minors to carry weapons. So you might have to spend a weekend as an unarmed soldier, or go as a civilian or slave. But the specific age may vary, usually 16 or 18. And some places might have no problem with a minor carrying a sword and javelin in the ranks, as long as he's not firing a gun or engaging in mock combat. Check with the group's rules, and check with the site!

But don't let ANYTHING keep you from joining up and getting your kit together!

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Quote:Does anyone know the limited age you have to be to reeanact or SCA>
There are many things that a youth can do prior to being old enough to fight. A youth who wants to participate in heavy (armored) SCA combat when he/she is old enough can fight with "boffer" (padded) weapons, build their armor, work on technique on a pell, etc. In fact I highly recommend them. It will only get them that much closer to being ready when they can finally become authorized as a heavy combatant. If you're interested in SCA participation, going to their website will be much more valuable than looking on this one (always get it from the horses mouth):

sca.org

More specifically, the rules for armored combat can be found here:

SCA Marshall's Handbook

Find your local group, and check with the groups Knight Marshall for locally specific rules.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
I don't have much but do you need to have armour to participate. I do have a simeple dagger that is 17 in includeing the handle and pommel. I have a tunic and a shield.
John Jenkins

participate in what? SCA or Roman re-enactment?

For the latter, a tunic, sandals and belt would be very helpful.
Minors are not usually allowed to wear or carry weapons, although different groups have different rules. Some allow a small belt knife, but 17 inches is not really small.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Its not a real sword it is blunted i got it at the New york rennasiance fair.
John Jenkins

Most groups will not differentiate between blunted or sharpened, for ordinary carry. If we allow a 12 y.o. to carry a blunted piece, then the next 12 y.o. is going to see that one carrying steel, and assume it's OK to carry anything.

Again, we have to say that the best thing for you to do, would be to ask members of the reenactment group that you wish to participate with. Most exist as non-profit organizations, and as such have by-laws or policies for both legal liability and insurance reasons. I hate to keep beating this horse, but:
You have to check with the group's officers We can't possibly give a blanket answer that would cover every reenactment/recreation group that is out there.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.