Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some books...can\'t choose
I've been searching on Amazon for some books to ask my grandmother for my birthday next month, but there're so much I can't decide :?

These are the 8 I think are most interesting from reading the descriptions.
For a total of £45 maximum, what would be the best combination of books listed beneath?
Any I deffinitely shouldn't buy?

I already know quite a lot about the Roman army, so I'd prefer books that include a lot of less well-known things :wink:

The Roman Legions Recreated in Colour Photographs - Daniel Peterson £8.50
Imperium Legionus: A Detailed Study of the Roman Army During the Empire - Jose Sanchez Toledo £14
For the Glory of Rome: A History of Warriors and Warfare - Ross Cowan £15
The Complete Roman Army - Adrian Keith Goldsworthy £16.50
The Roman Army at War, 100 BC-AD 200 - Adrian Keith Goldsworthy £21
The Roman War Machine - John Peddie £7
Greece and Rome at War - Peter Connolly £18
Roman Warfare - Adrian Keith Goldsworthy £6.50
[size=75:18gu2k6n]- Roy Aarts[/size]
I actually have all of these books (except for the latest from Ross which I plan to add soon) and each has its merits.

The one "must have" (in my opinion) is the Connolly book Greece & Rome At War.

The other have all been enjoyable and you certainly would not regret any of them. Both the Peterson and Sanchez Toledo books use photos of 're-enactors' and these are quite interesting.

One book I do not see on your list, perhaps you already have it, is In The Name Of Rome by Goldsworthy. ( c2003 ISBN: 0-297-84666-3). I found this to be a fascinating book about various Roman generals both the very famous and the lesser known. It is one of Goldsworthy's better books.

No doubt other members of our Forum will chime in with their recommendations, though any on the list would be good additions to your library.

Good luck and Happy Birthday. Smile

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I agree absolutely with Narukami in the case of Connolly`s "Greece and Rome at War".
It contains the material already published in the books "The Roman Army", "The Greek Armies" and "Hannibal and the Enemies of Rome" published 1975 and 1977 resp.
Even when you already own these titles, it would be useful because it has an additional chapter of the Late Roman Army, for example and some more artwork.
Perhaps it is even a revised edition? (My copy is the 1988 edition of 1981).

Greets,

Decebalus/Andreas Gagelmann
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
I'd go for two old favorites, and a new one (which I haven't seen yet)
:-
Greece and Rome at War - Peter Connolly £18
The Complete Roman Army - Adrian Keith Goldsworthy £16.50
For the Glory of Rome: A History of Warriors and Warfare - Ross Cowan £15

Total cost £49.50

You may have to put in £5....if not possible, I'd regretfully lose the Ross Cowan book, and put in any of the books under £10.

Cheers, and enjoy!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
The Roman Army at War, 100 BC-AD 200 - Adrian Keith Goldsworthy £21

I have this book and it's very interesting.
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
I'd wait until the comments come in on Ross' For the Glory of Rome..., before making a final decision. I thoroughly enjoyed a draft version while finding it very informative, and it's been discussed a bit on RAT already.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I'd wait until the comments come in on Ross' For the Glory of Rome..., before making a final decision. I thoroughly enjoyed a draft version while finding it very informative, and it's been discussed a bit on RAT already.

From what I read in this topic it seems to be a good book, and fun to read.

Quote:One book I do not see on your list, perhaps you already have it, is In The Name Of Rome by Goldsworthy. ( c2003 ISBN: 0-297-84666-3). I found this to be a fascinating book about various Roman generals both the very famous and the lesser known. It is one of Goldsworthy's better books.

Completely missed that one when searching on Amazon :o
I think I'll get that one, it looks very interesting.

Has anyone here read Caesar: The Life of a Colossus by Adrian Goldsworthy? Any good?
I agree that Connolly's 'Greece and Rome at War' is a real must have. A revised edition came out just last year from Greenhill, which includes more info on Etruscans.

Goldsworthy's 'In the Name of Rome' is really good, I've read it through twice and referred to it many times. Complete Roman Army is also good.

I doubt you'll find much in the Peddie's book to add to what you find in the above.

Happy birthday in advance for next month!

Phil Sidnell[/i]
Quote:Any I deffinitely shouldn't buy?

I already know quite a lot about the Roman army, so I'd prefer books that include a lot of less well-known things :wink:

The only book on your list to avoid is that of Peddie. As everyone else has said, Connolly's Greece and Rome at War is a must. The revised section on the Samnites in the new edition is excellent.

I'd also go for Goldsworthy's The Roman Army at War, and consider adding Keppie's classic, The Making of the Roman Army, or J. Lendon's excellent Soldiers and Ghosts.

For a specific period in Roman military history, K. Wellesley's The Year of the Four Emperors is another classic. If you are interested in a 'regimental history', M. P. Speidel's Riding for Caesar, about the Equites Singulares Augusti, is a great read, and also contains your desired "lots of less well-known things". If you are looking for a different take on the Roman army and its ethos, check out my For the Glory of the Rome.

Happy reading!

Ross
Thanks for the advice everyone Smile

I chose these 4:
- For the Glory of Rome: A History of Warriors and Warfare
- In the Name of Rome: The Men Who Won the Roman Empire
- Greece and Rome at War
- Caesar: The Life of a Colossus

I'll try to get the rest of the books mentioned another time Smile
Quote:I already know quite a lot about the Roman army, so I'd prefer books that include a lot of less well-known things
In that case, you may want to give a look into Roman Cavalry from Dixon and Southern.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.