Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Kalkriese replica by Arik Greenberg
It is a size 46. It is not custom. I do have a subarmalis underneath, 1 layer of wool and 3 layers of leather on the shoulders. Just fits me.

I'm 6'2" and 210 lbs so when I get fatter (probably inevitable Big Grin ) it will not fit as well I suppose.

I've only worn it a few times so far but at this point I highly reccommend Arik and his work. Even Matthew Amt approved! :lol:
-Belasarius (aka Sean J.A. Edwards)
Legio XX, USA
http://www.legioix.org/
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Can anyone get access to Hilary Travis' site? I am researching reconstructung a Kalkriese A.

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Hi Paul

I think the website has now disappeared.
It was a freeserve sit - they then got bought out by Wanadoo, then Orange (was on http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/kalkriese/ when last seen).

They were still supporting the websites until recently when they changed the "free" wesite system to only being "free" if you pay them an arm & 2 legs. As I thought the site had run its course I didnt think it worth paying them to continue (besides, you couldnt just continue it, you had to re-create it all again with their new software).

Anyway, they appear to be mass producing Arik's version as being the definitive (mine just being an academic project is just a one off - I have no intention to mass-produce), & mass production appears to be the gauge of correctness these days. It was presented as a paper at the Durham TRAC conference a few years ago also.

We have spoken of this a long time ago tho I recall by email. If there is anything you want to know let me know & I'll try to provide the info &/or photos.

BTW - for those like Arik who think I'm a bloke - I wasnt last time I looked - never have been.

Hilary
(it can be a boys name on rare occasions, but in this case it isnt)
Thanks Hilary- PM sent.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I cant help but wonder if there should be strap and buckle hinges applied to the "girdle" plates. I would assume that the armourers switched over to strap and buckle hinges because the strap riveted directly to the plate would be prone to stretching and what not. Wouldnt they do the same with the girdle plate straps?
Also, is there evidence that buckles were used instead of tie hooks? Can either one be used? I only ask because I made a prototype Kalkriese (just for the heck of it) about a year ago, but I used tie hooks instead of buckles.
Stuff and Things
L. J. Parreira
Quote:I cant help but wonder if there should be strap and buckle hinges applied to the "girdle" plates. I would assume that the armourers switched over to strap and buckle hinges because the strap riveted directly to the plate would be prone to stretching and what not. Wouldnt they do the same with the girdle plate straps?
Also, is there evidence that buckles were used instead of tie hooks? Can either one be used? I only ask because I made a prototype Kalkriese (just for the heck of it) about a year ago, but I used tie hooks instead of buckles.
You have hit the same point as I with the buckles - as I have said previously, there is no evidence for buckles on the girdle plates. That is why I also went with tie loops - at least there is evidence for them, and they are tried & tested. If you assume the prototype to be cruder in form (as has been suggested) then the closure method may have been cruder on the girdle plates, but not likely to be more elaborate (the breast plate for example being "cruder" with its straps rivetted directly to the plate).
Buckles however are more elaborate, take much longer to make & also have the added problem of causing a foul up on contraction. The arguement for buckles hinges on the Trajan's column representations, which are considerably later and notoriously not accurate representations of reality.
In the absence of evidence to the contrary I would still say your tie loops are the best choice - at least they have been found in early contexts, if not necessarily with the "Kalkriese" (although there we do only have the breast plate, collar plate from Kalkriese & the slightly later stuff from Chichester).

Hilary