Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upcoming film : Pompeii
This was mentioned on another board;
directed by Roman Polanski, filming/principal photography is due to start in Italy this July.
Based on the novel by Robert Harris (which I remember reading) this tells the story of the eruption of Vesivius in 79CE as seen though the eyes of Marcus Attilius.
Let us hope the film has some authenticity...!
newsitem
newsitem
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Well, there's a thing. Accuracy is something we can dream of, and it would be great to see a nicely reconstructed liburnean (though let's hope they ignore the various references to the oarsman rowing to a drumbeat!)

I have to say, I'm surprised there hasn't been - to the best of my knowledge - a film about Pompeii... well, apart from 'Further Up Pompeii', of course! :lol:
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens
Quote:Well, there's a thing. Accuracy is something we can dream of, and it would be great to see a nicely reconstructed liburnean (though let's hope they ignore the various references to the oarsman rowing to a drumbeat!)

I have to say, I'm surprised there hasn't been - to the best of my knowledge - a film about Pompeii... well, apart from 'Further Up Pompeii', of course! :lol:

The Last Days of Pompeii from 1960....with my first bearded crush, Steve Reeves aka Hercules.. (no beard in this film)
and Cecil B DeMille's version from 1935 with Basil 'Hound of the Baskervilles' Rathbone as Pontius Pilate...even an Italian silent movie from 1913....!
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
D'oh! Should have known. Still, it was ripe for a new treatment, and Harris' book should do it proud.
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens
There was also a British TV mini-series (mid 80s?) which went for 6 hours

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
While waiting to see the historical relevance of this new film, I am happy to note the new passion of the cinema for Antiquity. Smile For each film on Antiquity, it's also a possibilty given to the public to be interested on it.
David
I'm excited about that one. I really enjoyed the book, quite the page-turner. And it features one of my all-time favorite Roman archeological sites, the Piscina Mirabilis near Baiae, quite prominently.
Aka
Christoph
If I am not mistaken, a team who wanted to make a movie about Pompeii, called up one of our female members last year to take part in the movie and they asked for to borrow the instruments.
They only wanted a double-flute-player.
My collegue explained that there have been not double-flutes in Antiquity but double-pipes.
By telling them that the actors are not able to handle or play it without any introduction they seemed to lost the interest.
But I have no idea if it was this film or another...

By working often for TV the biggest problem is that the director´s book has already been written. After that they start searching for the layout etc. When you explain them the historical accurancy they start to discuss not to leave their way of story. Another thing is that they do not want to pay anything. On some sets most of the time you are be handled like a stupid begger who should be very thankful to participate...very sad.

But we also had very very good documentaries that work with us. Very histrical, nice collegues, great layout and cool atmosphere to work in.
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.
Quote:There was also a British TV mini-series (mid 80s?) which went for 6 hours
I have an excerpt version of that, BBC iirc, and it's pretty good. They put some people in situations, and when they are killed by the gases and the heat, they fade their bodies into the plaster casts found in various places. Pretty well done, seems to me.

We just returned from the museum display of the Pompeii relics in Mobile Alabama. I'd just seen the DVD, and it was very helpful to have some of those images in the brain, and helped relate the situation and details to the public. We camped there along with about 50 others, to help with the museum's display. Fun stuff.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I remember one semi-documentary film that used CGI, it was very good. It was part of a series on Channel 5 I think.
Is this a current series...? (I don't watch TV at the moment) Pompeii Live
There are a few programmes on Pompeii and Herculaneum on various tv channels from 11th February
Five TV (you may have to search for Pompeii)
Pompeii, The Last Day is a 1 hour drama on UKTV History...showings start from 11am on 17th February..
On DVD Pompeii, The Last Day
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
We'll, it's going to be directed by Roman Polanski.... :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:By working often for TV the biggest problem is that the director´s book has already been written. After that they start searching for the layout etc. When you explain them the historical accurancy they start to discuss not to leave their way of story. Another thing is that they do not want to pay anything. On some sets most of the time you are be handled like a stupid begger who should be very thankful to participate...very sad.

But we also had very very good documentaries that work with us. Very historical, nice collegues, great layout and cool atmosphere to work in.
On the one hand, Susanna, appearance of you music in movie - a kind of promotion of your work and you could treat this work (even if it's not properly payed and treated - as investment in future popularitySmile
On the other hand - it is clear from "Alexander" that the directors are used to think that they know the history better than it is described in the sources Big Grin
This short notice from Thursday's Hollywood Reporter...

[size=150:2ubquxa0]Pompeii erupts with int'l sales[/size]

CANNES - Summit Entertainment has closed multiple presales on Roman Plonaski's "Pompeii" after negotiating a co-production and financing deal for the project with Germany's leading independent, Constantin Film.

Constantin was the first to board the big-budget epic, an adaptation of Robert Harris' best-selling novel set in the final days of the ancient Roman city before Mount Vesuvius erupted, covering it in volcanic ash for centuries.

Under the agreement set up with Summit, Constantin, together with R.P. Prods. in France and Antena 3 Television's Ensueno Films in Spain, will finance and co-produce "Pompeii."

The deal, announced Tuesday in Cannes, will allow "Pompeii" to go ahead without a U.S. distribution deal in place.

Casting is still under way. Polanski is in preproduction on the feature and is planning to begin principal photography this year or in early 2008 in Alicante, Spain. A worldwide theatrical release is planned for 2009.

Polanski will produce "Pompeii" with Robert Benmussa and Alian Sarde.

Billed by some as "Chinatown" in ancient Rome, "Pompeii" is set in the summer of 79 AD. The film follows a young aqueduct engineer who gets entwined in a conspiracy involving the supply of water to the city and leads up to the fatal eruption.

Summit also has sold "Pompeii" to RAI/01 in Italy, Pathe in France and SPI in Eastern Europe.

Ancient Roman Chinatown...? Confusedhock: :? shock:

I like the film "Chinatown."

I like Ancient Rome.

I even like Polanski's other films.

So will I like "Pompeii" too?

Time will tell....

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA