Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Several questions, mostly on equites...
I wonder if anyone here can help me out - I'm looking for information on the equites legionis in early imperial times. Information like that is woefully sparse, at least as far as I've been able to find. Most papers and books seem to deal with the alae.

What I know or think I know:

There were 120 of them, organized in 4 turmae, each commanded by a decurio. Or does that only apply to the alae?

The decurio was the equivalent of a centurio on horseback. He also wore the crista transversa. How far do the similarites go? Does he have the greaves/ocreae? (They would make sense on a horse.) What about the stick/vitis?

Equites seem to have had calones, servants - I assume it was slaves - who took care of their horses for them. Judging by the sheer mass of gravestones showing calones, I would guess that every eques, not just officers, had a calo. Would that be correct?

If anyone could direct me to a site or book dealing with the subject, I'd be very happy Smile

And another question, not restricted to equites: I've heard it mentioned that legionaries might have worn lead-cast little coins with their names, unit, and commanding officer imprinted. Would those look like US Army dog-tags? Are they even halfway historically sound or even probable?

Thanks a lot! And my, those are a lot of italics. Smile
Jenny Dolfen

My illustrated novel project: [URL="http://darknessovercannae.com/"]Darkness over Cannae[/URL]
Too out-of-the-way question, eh? Sad
Jenny Dolfen

My illustrated novel project: [URL="http://darknessovercannae.com/"]Darkness over Cannae[/URL]
Quote:I wonder if anyone here can help me out - I'm looking for information on the equites legionis in early imperial times. Information like that is woefully sparse, at least as far as I've been able to find. Most papers and books seem to deal with the alae.

What I know or think I know:

There were 120 of them, organized in 4 turmae, each commanded by a decurio. Or does that only apply to the alae?
It is - as far as I know - unclear whether the equites legiones were organised into turmae. There certainly is no evidence that they were commanded by decurions. We do know of the/an optio equitum and of a vexillarius equitum.
Anyway, the equites remained on the rolls of the centuriae from which they were promoted, probably for administrative reasons.
Quote:The decurio was the equivalent of a centurio on horseback. He also wore the crista transversa. How far do the similarites go? Does he have the greaves/ocreae? (They would make sense on a horse.) What about the stick/vitis?
There is no evidence that the decurio used the crista transversa. It seams unlikely as that would have made his helmet rather uncomfortable at the gallop. Personally I think the decurio used a wreath embossed in relief on his helmet, copied from Hellenistic badges of rank. Greaves seem unlikely too, except perhaps for cavalry sports. He might however have used a vitis, although - again as far as I know - there is no evidence.
Quote:Equites seem to have had calones, servants - I assume it was slaves - who took care of their horses for them. Judging by the sheer mass of gravestones showing calones, I would guess that every eques, not just officers, had a calo. Would that be correct?
That would be correct.
Quote:If anyone could direct me to a site or book dealing with the subject, I'd be very happy Smile
One interesting site is: Malagne Promenade virtuelle > De oorlogstsuigen
Some articles:
  • David Breeze, "The Organization of the Legion: The First Cohort and the Equites Legionis", in: The Journal of Roman Studies, Vol. 59, No. 1/2 (1969), pp. 50-55.
    Michael Speidel, "The Captor of Decebalus, a New Inscription from Philippi", in: The Journal of Roman Studies, Vol. 60, 1970 (1970), pp. 142-153.
Furthermore, there are many sites on the Roman army which mention the equites legionis.
Quote:And another question, not restricted to equites: I've heard it mentioned that legionaries might have worn lead-cast little coins with their names, unit, and commanding officer imprinted. Would those look like US Army dog-tags? Are they even halfway historically sound or even probable?
This matter has been covered in "THe roman military mark?"
Quote:Thanks a lot! And my, those are a lot of italics. Smile
You're welcome! Hope I have been able to help you on your way...
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
Thanks Rob! You did help me, and probably forced me to do some serious reorganization of my material... dang.

Quote:It is - as far as I know - unclear whether the equites legiones were organised into turmae. There certainly is no evidence that they were commanded by decurions. We do know of the/an optio equitum and of a vexillarius equitum.
Anyway, the equites remained on the rolls of the centuriae from which they were promoted, probably for administrative reasons.

So the equites were promoted to their status (permanently?), but I suppose they did not fall under the jurisdiction of their former centurions anymore, would they?

Do you think the optio equitum was the highest-ranking among the equites then?

Argh, it seems I've been under the wrong impressions about the equites most of the time...
Jenny Dolfen

Quote:Thanks Rob! You did help me, and probably forced me to do some serious reorganization of my material... dang.

Quote:It is - as far as I know - unclear whether the equites legiones were organised into turmae. There certainly is no evidence that they were commanded by decurions. We do know of the/an optio equitum and of a vexillarius equitum.

So the equites were promoted to their status (permanently?), but I suppose they did not fall under the jurisdiction of their former centurions anymore, would they?

Do you think the optio equitum was the highest-ranking among the equites then?

Argh, it seems I've been under the wrong impressions about the equites most of the time...
Curiously enough, it would seam that the vexillarius equitum was higher in rank.
The assumption is that the legionary cavalry was under tactical control of some senior officer. Either a centurion or a tribune. In the latter case the tribunus sexmestris stands out. This was the junior equestrian tribune, appointed for a six-month period.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
Ah, thanks, that's very helpful!

The vexillarius being of higher rank makes sense, since the signifer also outranks the optio in the infantry. I've always understood this to be a prestige thing; when it comes to actual military decisions, it could well be that the optio was still the one whose voice held greater weight.
Jenny Dolfen