Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Step
Greetings ... I Am new to RAT & Re-Enactment ... Currently residing in Upstate New York but will be in Europe to attend University soon ... Would like to Join a Roman Re-Enactment Legion once there ...

My Question: With the Holiday Season upon Us ... I would like to begin purchasing items for My Kit ... Would You Please suggest an/any essential & economic first purchase(s) that I would be able to use in any Roman Re-Enactment setting ...

Thanks ...
Travis Tribe
Welcome, Tribe!

I suggest visiting http://www.larp.com/legioxx/ site. It has a separate page on every item of the gear, with a review of suppliers in the end of each page (not to mention their separate Suppliers page). This is how I started on my kit.

Best,
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Welcome tribe,
can i ask you where in europe you will stay? Cause we ve people from all over europe here which may help you Smile

Your first steps should be made to get a tunica. It's quite easy to make and to get, Alexander gave you already a good link to do the first steps.

Also shoes and the cingulum militae, the belt will be necessary and will help you already to get into the scene / a group.

Some do, but i wouldn't start already to buy the weapons and armoury at the beginning, cause you can make a bunch of mistakes and will be angered about the lost money.

I hope that was already helpful.
Best wishes
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
Quote:Your first steps should be made to get a tunica. It's quite easy to make and to get...

Also shoes and the cingulum militae, the belt will be necessary and will help you already to get into the scene / a group.

Having found a group, you may discover that they will loan you some of the gear until you get your own. But that's right-having your own tunica and caligae for a start is a good idea. As to the belt - it is possible to make your own with the metal parts bought online, and your group, I am sure, will gladly help you on that. Same goes for a scutum.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Thanks for the suggestions & information ... ... I will either be in Paris, France or Vienna, Austria ... Waiting to See which University will be able to Give Me the Most Financial Aid ...

I will start with the Tunica & Caligae ... & Go from There ... Thanks again ...
Travis Tribe
Hey Tribe, Welcome to RAT. Would you mind putting your real name in your signature?

I'd also recommend Matt Amt's site has all the basics as well as details that will get you started on the right path.

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Valkenburg/Castleford style caliga step by step Martin Moser 121 45,505 02-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Sutoris
  HOW TO Cover your Canteen with Rope:Step By Step Iulia Cassia Vegetia 1 1,577 02-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar