Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reenacting with limited resources
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such a willingly helpful group of internet-goers! Great advice, it all makes sense, and I've already started eyeing books that I'll add to my collection...I make frequent forays to used bookstores and antique stores, which thankfully have a surprisingly large number of books on ancient history.

Anywho -- I understand everything you guys said, and it's great advice, but the way I thought of it is that since my parents are willing to pay for this much, why not let them help? The helmet isn't exactly something I can make on my own, and I know that they can be modified for historical accuracy in the future, even if at cost.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I will be heeding your advice -- to make most of my kit myself -- but that since I have a valuable resource at the moment (my loving parents), I may as well let them help me get started.

By the way -- does anyone know of any reenacting groups in or around northern Kentucky, towards Ohio? My parents wouldn't want me driving too far until I'm 18, so reenacting groups within an hour's drive would be preferable. I appreciate the help more than I can really express, guys, and I'm very thankful to have such helpful people around that I can ask these kinds of questions...
AKA: Mike (Too young to reveal full name.)
If only there we're Roman/Greek reenactment groups in Norway...
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Quote:If only there we're Roman/Greek reenactment groups in Norway...
I thought there was one?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Mike,

If you're looking for reenactment groups in your area, you may want to check into Dan Peterson's XIIII GMV near Fort Campbell, KY along the Kentucky-Tennessee border. Also, though a bit further, is Legio V Alaude in Knoxville, TN.
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Dornicus,

Legio XIIII is also based in Charleston WV along with a group of barbarians. You are always welcome to come out with us to any event.

There is always loaner gear floating around.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:
Avatar:3ah447d8 Wrote:If only there we're Roman/Greek reenactment groups in Norway...
I thought there was one?

Indeed! http://legxv.uio.no/
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
This came as a surprise to me... Then again, online research isn't a strong point of mine...
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"