Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Military PhDs
Quote:Greets!

Want to chime in here.

I'm within a year of completing my thesis on The Christian Topography by Cosmas Indicopleustes. Not military history, but any dissertation is something of a campaign. I'm in the home stretch, with 3 of 5 chapters done.

You can read my blog about the experience here:

http://astro.temple.edu/~tlclark

My advice...
Travis: Another excellent post. Great advice. My Ecology PhD, hot/sweaty/itchy/scratchy/cutty fieldwork & 200+ page dissertation took only 9.3ish years.

Yes, to all: Hang in there, to make the best of it! Smile
AMDG
Wm. / *r
I was not aware of this topic Sad D .
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Well, to revive a dead thread in a slightly off-topic way. Good luck to the rest of my commilitones working on their PhDs. I passed my viva and was awarded my PhD in January 2008. Smile )
Praefectus Urbi
(Michael Ng)
Congrats Michael! Is your book going to be published as well? In that case, can I reserve a review copy for Ancient Warfare magazine?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Congratulations on your PhD, Michael! Big Grin
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Congrats Dr Michael!
Do let us know about your publication plans.

One of our students - Sam Potts - got his PhD on the personnel of the Athenian navy on monday so anyone interested in Greek naval history might like to keep an eye open for subsequent publications from him too.
Kate -> AW II-03: The Age of the Trireme?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Are you publishing a piece by Sam? That's excellent! I'll definitely have to put in a subscription rather than picking them up at the Roman Legionary Museum in Caerleon!
No, I meant you ought to tip him off. I've got too much to choose from, to be honest, but I'm particular to co-sufferers. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Oh right, Jasper. I'll let him know!
Thank you, everyone. I do hope to get my thesis published and I'm working on book proposals currently.

Kate: On the Athenian navy? Would it be possible to ask what the thesis title is?

Best of wishes to everyone and thanks. Smile

Michael
Praefectus Urbi
(Michael Ng)
My hat (or Corinthian Helmet) is off to all of you working on your PHDs. I have a BA in History and an MBA, and am slowly completing an MA in Ancient History. Somehow work, family, etc., etc., keep demanding my attention and make it difficult to devote time to my studies; can't imagine moving to the next level at this time! Big Grin

My questions to our RAT PHD candidates concern language skills/requirements:

1. Classical languages - what is required and what have you achieved?
2. Modern languages - which languages and what level of mastery?
3. Have your language skills, etc., significantly helped in your doctoral studies?
4. Any suggestions for online Classical language training?

Thanks for your time and good luck!
Hi Quinton
I think that differs from country to country and in fact from whether you're trying to get a PhD as a classicist, historian or archaeologist.
1. For me, no classical languages were officially required. I am able to read some Greek and Latin, but by no means proficient. It suffices to check different translations and make up my own mind, which is what matters, I think.
2. For a Dutchman studying ancient history, English and German are required. French, Italian and Spanish help. You have to be able to read both at academic level and if you want your published research to have a chance of any kind of impact, you'd better be able to write either of them at an academic level.
3. Yes, in the sense that not being able to read French or German would have severely hampered my research. There is simply too much written in those languages that is of significance to my particular subject. (Rule of thumb: Roman military research requires German).

My 3 cents. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Michael, sorry it's taken me so long to spot your message!
Here's Sam's webpage is here, with a bit of detail about his PhD. His Cardiff email is probably the best way to get in touch with him if you wish to do so.[/url]