Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diplomas, Governors and Titus!
Ave

This topic is the fourth in the series of articles I'm posting which relate to the dating of diplomas, the three previous articles were:-

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=6732
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=6767
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=6771

An overview "Getting Started" topic that I feel should be mentioned is:-

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=6731

The subject matter of the captioned topic is vast and there are still, unfortunately, many gaps in my listings. I'm therefore, going to be concentrating on a relatively short time span, the reign of Titus (24/6/79-13/9/81).

If we can decode either the name of the Governor or the Province that he was the Governor of, we can begin to set an approximate date for the issue of the diploma. My list of Governors for some Provinces is very short or, in some cases, non existent. You will notice that some Provinces, therefore, are missing from my list. You must also remember this is the Empire as at 79-81 AD, some of the Provinces like Dacia had yet to be conquered. I also suspect that more data than I possess at the moment will fill in and/or correct any errors or omissions that I may have made.

I'm relying very heavily on an article published by Dr. Werner Eck in Chiron 12 (1982) 281-362. His quoted sources are both epigraphic and literary. A problem for me is that his article is written in a mixture of Latin and German! If any of you can help with translations I would be eternally grateful.

The provinces, in his article, are broken down into four groups.

Kc = kaiserliche Provinz, konsularer Statthalter
Sc = Senatsprovinz, konsularer Statthalter
Kp = kaiserliche Provinz, pratorischer Statthalter
Sp = Senatsprovinz, pratorische Statthalter

ca. = circa, an approximate date

I've tabulated as much of the data as I can and presented it as a chart, see below:-

Please click on the chart to enlarge it.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Something for you,
in H.G. Pflaum's book "Fasti Procuratorum Equestorum" a equestrian legate called procurator provincia is known from the era of Titus Caesar (about 78/80 CE). C. Saturius is now better known as C. Saturius Secundus. Amphora fragments with his name were found in his capital Augusta Vindelicum and in the river Rhone near Arles. He got very expensive (good quality) garum (fish sauce). Found in TYCHE No. 19, Robert Rollinger "Cambodunum versus Augusta Vindelicum - Zur Frage des Statthaltersitzes der Provinz Raetien"

Good luck

Malko Linge

The only real emperor Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus
Quote:Something for you,
in H.G. Pflaum's book "Fasti Procuratorum Equestorum" a equestrian legate called procurator provincia is known from the era of Titus Caesar (about 78/80 CE). C. Saturius is now better known as C. Saturius Secundus. Amphora fragments with his name were found in his capital Augusta Vindelicum and in the river Rhone near Arles. He got very expensive (good quality) garum (fish sauce). Found in TYCHE No. 19, Robert Rollinger "Cambodunum versus Augusta Vindelicum - Zur Frage des Statthaltersitzes der Provinz Raetien"
Good luck
Malko Linge_____________________
(Christian)
The only real emperor Imperator Caesar Domitianus Augustus

Ave Malko,

Thank you very much for your information.

How is it you manage to come up with these details? Do you have access to a good library and research facilities?

It has filled a gap in the fasti for Raetia. I have also added Noricum. I could add the prefect of Egypt and the commander of the Egytian Fleet, both are known to me. I think the chart would then be too big.

Please see the amended and updated chart which is attached.

Please click on the image to enlarge it.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Provincial Governors 44 B.C Ptolemy Euergetes 2 1,711 02-23-2016, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Steven James
  Provincial Governors! Spedius 1 1,539 04-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Spedius
  The Governors & Garrison of Mauretania Caesariensis? Spedius 4 2,040 01-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Spedius