Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artillery: Catapult (scorpio) arrowheads with tangs
Salvete
I am interested in more examples of tanged catapult  (scorpio) arrowheads.

I see no example in Coulstone and Mike Bishop but i can find some in:

Duncan B. Campbell Greek and Roman Artillery 399 BC-AD 363, New Vanguard Osprey at page 35. There is an example from Egypt Qasr Ibrim where the weight is given with 15g and the length about 48 mm tip which would man about 100 mm in total. I can find a little bit more info about the same finds in Alan Wilkins Roman Imperial Artillery at page 61  with photo on page 121 fig 110.

Another find also from Wilkins page 38 fig 25 rightmost is a Hod Hill example 118 mm in length weights 35 grams. reported on the same page a Vindolanda example.

it is stated that both would be from an two-cubit bolt shooter (total span about 1.75 bolt length 92 cm) .

What are your opinions on this would the 2 cubit machine be ok? This things around 40 gr would be definitive to heavy for a bow arrowhead.  Would you care to share with me other finds in the same manner.

Eddited to add
Suppose that this would be shot from an "carrobalista" type catapult like the one depicted on Trojans column (so iron frames) how big you think such a catapult would be (so equivalent of a 2 cubit timber framed) to fire 10 cm bolts with tang (5 cm tip) about 45 g weight?

Valete

Gunth
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Hi sorry to bump this but anyone has anything to say
I can't seems to find either Mike or Duncan on the forum they were active in Dec last
did someone had contact with them recently they also don*t answer PM
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. I'm not an expert on artillery, unlike Alan Wilkins, so I would tend to agree with what he says.

Best wishes,

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Torsion Artillery Compared to Tension Artillery Eleatic Guest 6 4,505 05-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Spathae tangs... long vs short StephenCurtin 10 2,887 11-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Robert