Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does it mean to be an Eastern Roman Miles?
What does it mean to be a Late Roman soldier from the East? - I often think to myself. What are general traits in the equipment, which differ from the Western, if you think in generalized ways.

First, I imagine soldiers more often wearing only puttees without pants, for dealing with the hot climate. They wear pilos, phrygian caps and straw hats more frequently, than in the West.

I also imagine them using swords and spears more robust then the average - a useful thing when it comes to well-armored Sassanids.

What traits come in your mind?
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Forgot to put it under the proper category...please move it to another!
I see no real difference, actually. The Western empire also had hot climates, such as Africa or the Mediterranean. Also, you could serve in pretty cold climates when serving in the East.
And any reason why arms should 'more robust'? I see no reason for them all to be standard issue, which sems to be confirmed by the archaeological record.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
How late are you talking about?
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
4-5th c.
No real difference until after the Professional Roman Army disappears in the late 450's.
Perhaps the use of region specific styles and construction of footware...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
That's true. Belts varied regionally.

E.g. Propellor Stiffeners are pretty much all from Gaul and the upper Danube (and Britain), so you wouldn't have seen those on a guy fighting the Sassies.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gregory's Roman Military Architecture on the Eastern Frontier allobye 0 65 10-15-2023, 02:28 AM
Last Post: allobye
  The Roman Eastern Frontier and the Persian Wars 226-363 TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 2 1,535 11-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS
  Eastern Roman Empire Troop types? Anonymous 22 4,965 10-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Felix