Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Pell (Wooden Stake) Construction
Lately i have been discussing various gladius employment techniques with some RAT experts...so i decided to build a wooden Pell (wooden stake) in my back yard...I plan to conduct some gladius practice drills when my rudis arrives from KOA. The construction took me a half an hour start to finish.

1. Picked out a hardwood log from the local woods. I cut the log to approximately 8 Feet height and approx. 6.5 inches in diameter.

2. Chose an open area in my yard suitable for 2 legionaries to practice (one on either side of the pell).
3. Dug a two foot hole in the ground using a dalobra and roman shovel.
4, Placed log in the hole and filled it in with dirt...solid as a rock.
5. I then put small cut and stab marks with an axe for authenticity.

[Image: 531FA560-85AA-4F05-80C0-B67DBDDC298B-378...d31eb5.jpg]

[Image: 42F21D5C-521F-40D7-87BC-F351AC2A5D65-378...4b738b.jpg]

NOTE: NO REAL STEEL GLADIUS WAS UTILIZED, DAMAGED, OR INJURED DURING THE CONSTRUCTION PROCESS....LOL
Quote:NO REAL STEEL GLADIUS WAS UTILIZED, DAMAGED, OR INJURED
(Of course, we can't say the same for that tree, eh?) Looks steady enough. Planning to work it with wooden gladii?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
That comment was meant as a joke...yes im planning on practicing with a wooden gladius...
and a wicker scutum ? "not al steel gladii are made for real swordplay, be carefull. remember that the rudis and wicker shield are the double weight as a normal one. be prepared. Wink
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
The rudis is double weighted but i dont have a wicker scutum and dont have the skills to build one....im hoping that some company will come out with it...till then I'll use a regular scutum.
Quote:That comment was meant as a joke.
So was, mine, brother. I think a palus would be a short-term thing if struck often by a sharp gladius. Big Grin As would we all. :eek:

How about a regular scutum and a wrist weight?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I know dude...im a resident smart a$$ too..lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  really cheap raising stake richsc 13 4,081 01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar