Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Per Narbonensem itineris variae imagines
[attachment=5158]IMG_8258.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=5159]IMG_8249.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=5160]IMG_8259.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=5161]IMG_8261.JPG[/attachment]

Salvete sodales,

Sextili mense per provinciam Narbonensem breve iter feci, illic diversas vrbes ac monvmenta adivi, nonnvllas eorvm imagines captavi. Nvnc vobiscvm eas qvae res militares romanas monstrant parti volvi. Primvm eas ad Aravsio (Orange) captas ostendo, omnes ab arco trivmphale ibi sito procedvnt.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

SI VIS PACEM COLE IVSTITIAM

NVLLA SINE DIGNITATE FELICITAS

LVCIVS SERGIVS ANTONINVS - Toni Sagarra
Note to Self: Pay More Attention in Latin

Anyways, great pictures! I get the gist of what you said, very interesting. From Narbo? (Roman Narbonne/Narbona)
Ista imago ad Foro Neronis (Carpentras) capta fvit,eivs loci arcvm trivmphalem ostendit.

[attachment=5162]IMG_8291.JPG[/attachment]

Illvd monvmentvm quod ad Glanvm (Saint-Rémy-de Provence)sitvm est ista imago ostendit.

[attachment=5163]IMG_8392.JPG[/attachment]

Hi Evan,

The pictures were taken in a trip to the Provence in France, the romans called it the Provincia Narbonensis by the fact that its capital city was indeed Narbo- Narbonne. The first pictures come from the arch at Orange, the second missage displays a picture from the arch (only partially conserved) at Carpentras. The last picture is from the funerary monument at the ancient site of Glanum (Saint-Rémy-de Provence).

regards

Quote:Note to Self: Pay More Attention in Latin

I think the topic-starter would have been very well understood by a Roman or medieval reader (if only they had an idea of photography). My English (or the English of most of the Dutch, German, Spanish or Italian members) isn't much better...

By the way, great pictures!
Quote:Hi Evan,

The pictures were taken in a trip to the Provence in France, the romans called it the Provincia Narbonensis by the fact that its capital city was indeed Narbo- Narbonne. The first pictures come from the arch at Orange, the second missage displays a picture from the arch (only partially conserved) at Carpentras. The last picture is from the funerary monument at the ancient site of Glanum (Saint-Rémy-de Provence).

regards

Awesome. I like the one of the Naval Engagement Especially.
Hi Evan,

Most of the weaponry shown in the arches is what the romans took from the celtic peoples of southern Gaul. Look also to the human figures representing celtic captives in chains with their weapons. In the picture from Carpentras, at the feet of one captive appears a falcata, a weapon initially more representative of the warriors of Hispania.

regards

Yeah I noticed the sword, initially I thought that it was of Eastern Origin but thanks for clarifying.