Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First try at harness phalerae
Hi,
These are some pictures of my first attempt to harness phalerae in lost wax bronze ... I still have to test and improve various details to improve it, but I think is the right way.

What do you think?

[Image: 1-5.jpg]
[Image: 2-5.jpg]
[Image: 3-4.jpg]
[Image: 4-4.jpg]
[Image: 5-4.jpg]
[Image: 6-4.jpg]
[Image: 7-4.jpg]
[Image: 8-4.jpg]
[Image: 9-4.jpg]
[Image: 10-4.jpg]
[Image: 11-4.jpg]
[Image: 12-5.jpg]
[Image: 13-3.jpg]
[Image: 14-3.jpg]
[Image: 15-3.jpg]
CIAO from Italy

Marco
As I already told you be email, your work again is brilliant. Can't wait till I will have the prototype in my hand for close-up view. From the pictures I think it's among the best reproductions I've seen so far. Of course there is still a long way (and a lot of work) ahead to get the complete set of horse gear finished.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Very impressive!

Can't wait to see the full set :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
mwahahahahah absolutely amazing! :twisted: :twisted:
Samuel J.
Oh! It's very nice!

For the decorations, how are made? acid? and the black substance what'is? Niello? will you add silver coating to the pieces?
Looks very efficient and professional!
I look forward to seeing more! :grin:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Oh! It's very nice!

For the decorations, how are made? acid? and the black substance what'is? Niello? will you add silver coating to the pieces?

Thanks guys!

for the decorations I used black epoxy, is very strong ... especially when you have to regrind :evil:
I made the carving with a small drill to dig the channel, then filled it with epoxy and dry when I grind up to the level of bronze.

But I repeat that this is just an experiment because I want to experiment with other techniques may be.
Currently i'm absolute not very happy with the decorations and if this project will go far I want to do better.

We still do not know how much time is needed for this project but I Think it would be a very long and now I'm just experimenting with what technique to use.
This is a good method, but rather tricky.
However, the carving must be very deep otherwise little epoxy and a few small areas remain transparent, as you can see in these photos of the first attempt, especially in small leaves.

[attachment=1749]IMG_0044800x600.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1750]IMG_0045800x600.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1751]IMG_0046800x600.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1752]IMG_0047800x600.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1753]IMG_0051800x600.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CIAO from Italy

Marco
Marco,

Probably was easier to do the decorations in the wax, not in the bronze. So, you can do it deepeer and in a easy way with a dremel bit or even with a pointed knife, etc..
Hi Cesar,
Yes, I have considered this hypothesis, but the phalera needs cleaning after the cast.
If I made the decoration before in the wax, when I regrind the phalera smooth the edges of the designs inevitably become rounded and when the epoxy fill with irregular ... and I definitely do not want because I want the decoration at the same level of the bronze as in the original and not a colored trench...hope my english is understandable!
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Superb work Marco a man after my own heart, keep up the great work. Look forward to seeing them all finished Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Hi guys,
some new wax models ready for casting Wink

[Image: Wax1800x600.jpg]
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Saluto magistrum faber!

Great work, and step by step always welcomed.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Still impressed by your attention to detail - fabulous!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks guys!

I attach new progress...some bronze harness (unfinished) and a new master for medium phalerae...

[Image: IMG_0018800x600-1.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0022800x600-3.jpg]
CIAO from Italy

Marco