Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
early pteryges?
Hello all.
I hope you can all see this photo:
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a...1818_n.jpg
[Image: 230175_208481065858632_100386356668104_6...1818_n.jpg]
Comes from excavation on the island of Despotiko
It seems like a 7th century vase but is the man on the left wearing a cuirass with pteryges??? This is an extremely early period for such a feature. And i cannot make out if it is a bell cuirass with pteryges or else... a tube and yoke cuirass that early?
I have to say though that that small fragment doesn't seem to fit in that specific place because the legs of the horse would be unfirring,but it certainly belongs to the same vase.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
It certainly appears to be pteryges, a shame there are so many missing pieces.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
When did actually pteruges emerged?

I thin k i have seen archaic reliefs and vase paintings of them (6th cent).

ps-it seems that they are pteruges painted but there is also a thin possibility that it is an artistic representation of cloth plaiting.
To my knowlwge,pteryges were represented from mid 6th century onwards. The vase above is much earlier than that and it shows fully evolved pteryges. There is one bronze statuette which shows some kind of primitive pteryges under the bell cuirass,but it's not even as old as this vase and it's not this style of pteryges either.
These pteryges first appear with the tube and yoke cuirass,and only later and not alwasy do we see them hunging from muscled cuirasses.
I find the possibility that this is meant to be pleated fabric unlikely. At this age clothes are invariably depicted without pleats and if we want to make a stretched argument,even the little part that could be interpreted as cloth between his arm and his cuirass is black and not white.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Yhe swirling line seen at the left chest area appears to be the same as seen in other bell cuirass depictions.

[attachment=928]ArchaicPotery.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad