Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Destruction of Archaeological heritage by Turks..
Just seen a documentary about the ongoing destruction of Archaological heritage by the Turkish government in Mesopotamia, SHOCKING...

for instance the 12.000 year old city of Hasankeyf will soon be submerged because of
yet another dam in the river Tigris...

And the international community does NOTHING to stop the Turks...

They destroy our Classical and ancient heritage and have been doing so since 1453...

Too strong a wording? Perhaps, but some of them should be taught some respect for ancient history one day. I know that near the coast they are proud of Ephesus, Troy, et cetera...Only because of the tourist trade, But in the back country they do what they want.

They already ruined Constantinople (I refuse to call that city by its later name) centuries ago...

Its a shame !

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I've been in Hasankeyf. Yes, there is a village disappearing, but believe me, the Byzantine fort won't. It's situated pretty high on a rock. Archaeologists are in fact involved and do work comparable to the work at Zeugma, where everything was eventually saved. The mosaics are in Gazi Antep now, in an excellent museum.

I am not saying everything is OK. But the Turks are really doing their best, and there are other, more important factors than archaeology. An increasing population needs water, for example.

In general, the Near East is a strange place. One of the things that does not exist, is a press that separates facts and opinions. Now if you would see a documentary on the Palestine territories, you would immediately recognize that things are desperately complex; the same applies to eastern Turkey, Syria, Iran, or Egypt. If a documentary tries to show you facts, it usually shows you a selection of facts, aiming to make you angry at the Turks.

Again, I am not saying that Turkey is the perfect nation and that the Turks are doing everything perfectly. We are discussing the eastern part of that country, with a mixed and explosive mix of religions and nationalities; the Turks are certainly just one party in the conflicts over there. But they are not willingly destroying archaeological heritage.

Recommended reading: Marcel Kurpershoek, Volg de wolken. It has chapters on Xenophon too, by the way.

And I am both sorry and amused that we find ourselves again in opposing positions in a debate.Wink
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Big Grin

Well Jona, by now you know i start debates with a general outcry and a Romanesque indignation, give or take the slander here and there by Jupiter's cock! xD

Of course it should not be the West constantly pointing classical history out to those nations, but who else will do it ? not the Chinese, nor even the Japanese or Koreans Wink
(silly point but well) It is OUR heritage, WORLD heritage..

I will look up Marcel Kurpershoek book !

Vale,

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:... and Babylon is but a ruin (also thanx to the American Military by the way)...

...only destroyed by petty and in my honest opinion very irritating behaviour which started when monotheïsm ruined the world...

I have reported your extremely offensive anti-American and anti-Christian comments to the moderators, and demand an immediate public apology plus a promise to desist from such garbage in the future. How can you spout such crap and still call yourself a student of history?

Matthew R. Amt
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
No political & religious statements here, M.VIB.M.!

I edited your posts which concerned the above issues :evil: . Btw, I can relate to your frustration concerning the state of preservation of our common heritage, but what can we do...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Virilis, Thank you very much for the edit, i was not online so could not edit it myself today.

I have to refrain of modern politics, i know, but when modern day politics touch ancient heritage and or archaology i think debate should be possible. Probably not as poignant as i make it out to be but still...

If RAT wants to be true to the letter with this rule, also delete the Osama is dead posting as well as some old postings about the financial crisis of Greece made by others.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:I have to refrain of modern politics,
We like you anyhow.Wink
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website