Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greaves
I'm kind of new to the idea of making the stuff for my suit of armor on my own, but long story short, I have some 22 gauge bronze sheet left over from a project (a decent amount of it) and i was wondering if anyone might know how I could make a pair of greaves out of these. I don't have a huge variety of tools to use on the project, so please keep that in mind if you decide to respond. Thanks for all the help!
Welcome to RAT, Irish. Always glad to have more craftsmen on board! Many people here have made greaves of all different kinds, and others have bought them from suppliers. You should be able to get ideas on how they should look from there.

There is a box at the upper right of the screen called "Search". Try using "greaves", "making greaves", "bronze greaves", "Roman greaves" etc. You'll get many hits from those sorts of search keywords. There have been several long threads, including photo essays on making greaves.

Among the first questions, though, would be
Greek or Roman?
What century?
Who's wearing them, line soldier, gladiator or high rank officer?
How ornate do you want them to be?

Please take a couple of moments, click on the RAT Rules link in my signature, and get acquainted with the rules of posting here. Feel free to comment or ask questions on the threads that have to do with greaves.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.