Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Razors
I came across this picture of what is claimed to be a razor from the Roman period (I do not recall off hand when exactly)

Does anyone know where the original is housed? Are there any better pictures than what I am posting of the original since I would like to try and make this razor.

Are there any dimensions available?

Any help would be appreciated
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
That one is in the Valkhof Museum, Nijmegen, The Netherlands. I'll see if I can get dimensions of the piece.

Here a better pic (from Romancoins.info)
[Image: c-2005%20(75).JPG]
ALA I BATAVORUM
replik.de has a very similar piece in their collection measuring 90 x 60 mm, casted after an original. Frisius-F has 2 others which are a bit bigger (65 x 100 mm), so at least that are measurements to go with. If you need exact ones of this find, let me know and I'll get in touch with the staff of the museum.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Holgar Ratsdorf makes one too, says its 3rd cent. I was going to order one, but need one for earlier too.

http://hr-replikate.de/katalog/en/index.html
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron,

I will be using this razor for all my impressions unless there is one from the 1st C that I do not know about. I do not think that a razor is necessarily as critical as a sword when looking at a time period. However, I would agree that for me at leat, a 1st C AD would be better.

However, if there is no other alternative, then better something than nothing at all.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Very true. I think I have apicture of some razors from Roman Kefalonia, I will check that out too.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
This is a picture I took in the museum of Heerlen, Limburg, South Netherlands. It shows three types of razors, the reason I took the picture was because of the upper one, which is all iron and a good object for me (and perhaps you) to forge. The length is about 15 cm, printing out the picture full size just about gives you the original size. The thickness is caused by corrosion, I suspect the original was not over 4 mm along the back of the blade. Nice forging project! The other two are handled, one being very similar to the one previously posted, the other a long curved blade, of which part is still attached to the brass handle. Hope this helps!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Robert,

That is an interesting iron razor. It is simpler than having to worry about casting that griffin and then forging that other blade. However, I would like to give a go to both.

Do you happen to have a good closeup of the details of that drawing showing the head of the griffin.

Paolo
This of any help? The drawing is not very detailed, really. Only took the one shot. PM me at r.wimmersAThotmail.com and I will mail you the original photo.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soldiers razors for shaving Doc 9 3,116 11-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs