Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Fort wall and rampart
Here is a model of a Roman Fort wall backed with earth rampart and retaining wall, made for 15mm scale. The walkway is 15 Roman feet. Not a lot more to say, really!
[Image: smccj7.jpg]
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
I was just thinking Neil with this type of intervallum inside of forts, could there I wonder have been some kind of steps to the top at certain points outside of the wall turrets that is. This way there could have been rapid deployment of troops from the intervallum road to the ramparts should it be needed ( just a thought )
Brian Stobbs
Quote:I was just thinking Neil with this type of intervallum inside of forts, could there I wonder have been some kind of steps to the top at certain points outside of the wall turrets that is. This way there could have been rapid deployment of troops from the intervallum road to the ramparts should it be needed ( just a thought )
I think it is almost certain that this was the case, otherwise it almost renders the intervallum road pointless. Thing is, were they stone steps, wooden, or both of these depending on period/phase of reconstruction?
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
There is also the thought about this intervallum was it covered with a clay surface to prevent grass and weeds growing on it, this would also help rain water to run off it better.
Brian Stobbs
If not many (any?) of these steps have been found, it would lead one to believe they were made from wood. Odds are, a set of anchored ladders leaning against the berm every fifty feet or so would give more than plenty of access to the wall. What about a ramp somewhere to take heavier things up there, like onagers, ballistae, scorpions, etc? There must have been a way, as they did put them on the wall for obvious reasons, right? Probably didn't use elevators....

One thing I wonder about is the foundation for the wall. I can't believe it stands on top of the earth berm, as that soil would not be stable enough, imho, to support the many tons of rock wall. How deep into the berm did the foundation blocks go?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:One thing I wonder about is the foundation for the wall. I can't believe it stands on top of the earth berm, as that soil would not be stable enough, imho, to support the many tons of rock wall. How deep into the berm did the foundation blocks go?

It depends what you mean by 'Berm' - I take the term to mean the dead space between the outer face of the wall and the defensive ditch (not shown on the model). The sloped earthen structure backing the wall I term as a 'rampart'. Forgive me for saying what you probably already know, but I must be sure that American and UK English is not being confused here.

The model represents a free-standing wall with its foundations dug about three feet below ground level. the rear of the wall is backed by the sloping earth rampart. From the rear of the model it does indeed appear as if the wall is perched on an earthen structure, but this is illusory, as the wall is full height, and merely backed by earth.

The only reason I can think of why this was done was indeed to enable men and material to reach the top of the wall with relative ease as has been suggested, as the wall itself could stand alone perfectly well without this structure. However, there is a bit of anomaly here with the whole situation - This is a model of a first to third century wall, and in this period forts were not used defensively (if at all possible!), rather the garrison would extensively patrol then sally out if a threat materialised. From the late third to fifth centuries, when the nature of the army changed, forts were indeed built as fortified posts designed to withstand concerted attack, and had artillery placed on bastions. But oddly enough, the sloped earth rampart is absent.

R. Neil Harrison
Neil. I think that the Vallum or mound against the wall on the inside of a fort was more of a support for the wall should any one decide to use a battering ram at the wall. However as you rightly mention the Romans always had the idea that the best type of defence is attack, indeed this clearly shows itself along Hadrians' Wall where most forts have three gates north of the Wall.
Brian Stobbs
Fantastic reconstruction! Just curious did you happen to also include a sectional view of the wall's inner construction? stones and fill? Well Done Neil!
- Steve
[url:a8jteds6]http://www.ancientvine.com[/url]
Quote:Fantastic reconstruction! Just curious did you happen to also include a sectional view of the wall's inner construction? stones and fill? Well Done Neil!
No, no cross sectional detail, I'm afraid - good idea, though! This model is part of a modular model of a roman Fort I have started, with the intention of growing into one of the Hadrian's Wall forts. The idea is that the fort can be stored in a small space, and quickly assembled for display simply by piecing it together like a jigsaw. I live in a small house, and a fort in 15mm scale covers the area of a large dining table!

R. Neil Harrison
Neil. I was just thinking that if you should require a smaller fort why not go for the fort of Procolitia to the west of Chesters on the way to Housesteads, it only measures 460ft north south and 360ft from east to west over the ramparts.
This one does not overlay Hadrians' Wall so it would give you a chance also to thro' in a piece of the Wall along it's north side.
There is a situation however about this fort did it or did it not have a North gate ??
Why I mention this is that I was a member of the late Raymond Selkirks' group who used to go around finding forts roads etc and Raymond found that there is a Roman road that runs past the west side of this fort thro' Hadrians' Wall going north.
I don't think there has been any excavation to prove a north gate but then would it need one with such a road passing to the left of the fort, infact such a road might explain the reason why Coventinas' Well is the only British Romano Celtic Temple that has a western doorway indeed was this Shrine even built before Hadrians' Wall.
Brian Stobbs
PhilusEstilius\\n[quote]Neil. I was just thinking that if you should require a smaller fort why not go for the fort of Procolitia to the west of Chesters on the way to Housesteads, it only measures 460ft north south and 360ft from east to west over the ramparts.
quote]
Good point, Brian. There is enough geophysical stuff to have a stab at reconstructing the internals. Another possible is Greatchesters for similar reasons.

R. Neil Harrison