Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Holidays -- The Animated Series...?
Does anyone remember seeing this series?

Premiered in 1972, before some of you were born, but some of the timeless elders among us might remember. I do not.

Roman Holidays

Animation 1972
Premiered: 1972, on Syndicated
Rating: None

Premise: The Holidays were an average family living in ancient Rome in this Hanna-Barbera cartoon. The brood included Gus; his wife, Laurie; their kids, Precocia and Happius; and their pet lion, Brutus. Gus worked for a construction company and his family frequently butted heads with their landlord, Mr. Evictus.

Roman Holidays Cast
Dave Willock: Gus Holiday
Shirley Mitchell: Laurie Holiday
Pamelyn Ferdin: Precocia Holiday
Stanley Livingston: Happius Holiday
Judy Strangis: Groovius
Hal Peary: Herman
Dawes Butler: Brutus
Janet Waldo: Henrietta
Hal Smith: Mr. Tycoonus
Dom DeLuise: Mr. Evictus

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Does anyone remember seeing this series?
No, it's new to me. It's weird we haven't seen it, because those Hannah Barbara series are repeated almost every day.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I should remember this, but alas I do not. It must not of lasted for long. Is there a web site link?
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
This series seems to have lasted only one season. I may have seen once or twice (the logo looks familiar), but I do not remember it at all.

Here is a little more info on it from IMDB:

In the 1960s and 1970s, Hanna-Barbera Productions created a series of half-hour animated situation comedies that took place in all different periods of history--"The Flintstones" (prehistoric), "The Jetsons" (the future), "These are the Days" (the early 1900s), and "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home" (1970s). In essence, the plots of all these animated series were pretty much the same, but with twists determined by whatever era they took place during. Humor was on two levels--both kids and adults could sit together and enjoy the show thoroughly. "Roman Holidays" was part of this genre; taking place in ancient Rome (AD 63), this show followed the adventures of the Holiday family. The characters were standard for this genre--a working middle-class family man with a strong, devoted wife, a dictatorial money-grabbing boss, a loyal buddy, even an intelligent family pet (in this case, a lion). I remember seeing this show on Saturday mornings when I was a kid and noting the similarities between its plots and that of "The Flintstones" and "The Jetsons." Nevertheless, I enjoyed it, as did my parents, and I can still remember the theme song ("When in Rome, you do as the Romans do, you play as the Romans play together..."). It is a shame that there are no longer any series on TV quite like it--it showed imagination and relied on the fact that a good family show must appeal to both children and adults, and that cartoons were not supposed to be half-hour commercials for some action figures. "Roman Holidays" would be a great show to release on video/DVD.

And also a listing in the not too authoritative but always amusing Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roman_Holidays

Perhaps it will eventually make it onto DVD...just about everything else has/does/will...

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
found something on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUkbeCshugM
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

Quite a find

Funny how ancient Rome looks just like 1970's America....Who would of guessed? :?

Thanks for the link Jeroen

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Holidays in the Sun Ghostmojo 2 892 10-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Ghostmojo
  Animated History of Poland - trailer King Louise Assurbanipal 1 829 07-16-2010, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Goffredo
  3d Animated Romans Narukami 9 2,659 12-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat