Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bari cuirass? is there a back plate extant?
I have commenced work on a "barbarian" copy of the famous
samnite/ carthaginian breastplate. I have become aware that there are two almost identical ones. However am at a complete loss as to what to do for the back plate!
Does anyone have photos of the backplate(s) or actually seen it in the museum? (excuse me if i have mislabelled it)
regards
richard robinson
There are examples of contemporary "Early Roman Armies" pectorals in the Osprey book of the same title. While not Samnite exactly, it's very likely there was a great deal of similarity. Deepeeka offers a version of a simple, undecorated pectoral, although evidently, many were very ornately engraved, and perhaps plated with more expensive metals.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:the famous samnite/ carthaginian breastplate
You must mean the one discovered at Ksour-es-Saf / Ksour Essaf, Tunisia? It's in the Bardo Museum in Tunis; pictures of front and back are available at Davide Monaco's excellent site, under the heading "CORAZZA DEI LINTEATI":
http://xoomer.alice.it/davmonac/sanniti/smlegio2.html (Not yet available in English, so far as I can tell).
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thank you MD
Thank you Dan.
I had found this site yesterday myself and sections of it are in English btw.
This is exactly the cuiras(ses?) I was seeking more info on.
Are you positive that they are the same "set".
I had drawn the conclusion (perhaps wrongly) that they images of the TWO breastplates found. (one in Africa, one in Italy).
Looking at the side fittings I had convinced myself. But i am more than happy to be reassured.
Thanks again

How very embarressing that i got the Museum and city completely wrong! :oops:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Back Plate Question on Segmentata Grumio 7 2,187 07-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Grumio
  Back plate to girdle fastening---buckles in or out? Anonymous 8 1,938 02-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus