Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz/Fulham-Mainz Scabbard Decoration Sketches
Aves Omnes

I have been doing a 'fair bit' of surfing lately trying to find good (CLEAR) examples of the scenes used on either of these swords as I'm going to make a scabbard for my gladius. The majority of examples of these swords are photos of either the originals or reproductions which are very hard to make out.

Could you please either give me the address of a site that has or send me pictures of sketches of the scenes used?
It is most likely that I'll be using brass sheet and a lot of delicate nail punch tapping to make the scenes if that helps you narrow down what type of pics I'm looking for. I'm up for a challenge so would like scenes as well as geometric designs please.

Thank you
---
Justin Keeling
What type of scenes sre you after :?:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:What type of scenes sre you after :?:
Hello Brennius, I haven't been able to find anything that's clear enough to make out properly so don't know what my options are. What I am hoping for is a collection of them, then I can pick one that feels "right with the universe"! :-) )
Also, considering the difficulty I've had in finding a collated source anywhere I will aim to add all pictures to my website for any future searches by other budding scabbard makers.
---
Justin Keeling
I know what you mean about good accurate images Big Grin D
[Image: P4080052-1.jpg]
This is not going to be easy to find on the net this is the way Ive had to do it for years. This is just some of the research material I used for one type of sword in the below pic, so you need to use books and origonal pictures and then work out the pic by drawing it up on the work piece.
[Image: scabbard.jpg]
If you PM your email I can send some pics of drawings and origonals which with todays digital pics are as good as a line drawing Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
If you should wish to create the Fulham scabbard contact the British Museum photographic department, where you can purchase one to one photographs of the two decoration pieces they are not over expensive. This is what I did some years ago and over the years I have made this sword and scabbard seven times, what I do is cover the pictures with tracing paper and draw out the decoration. This tracing was then put onto 7 thou thick shim brass or even better 8 thou thick sterling silver, then with a blunt scibe the picture is transfered to the metal this is done on a piece of soft leather. What you now have is exactly the decoration of the Fulham on your metal, the next part is where one has to have the skill to do hand worked Repouss'e to raise the figures in relief. This method of hand worked repouss'e is exactly how this scabbard and the sword of Tiberius decoration plates were done not just a craftsman but an artist craftsman. In many situations hammers and punches were used however with these two scabbards I would say most definately not. This hand worked repouss'e is indeed an acquired art, however I would say that anyone who can draw can achieve it for it's simply creating a picture in metal.
Brian Stobbs
Thank you for that. I will try them as well!

Quote:If you should wish to create the Fulham scabbard contact the British Museum photographic department, where you can purchase one to one photographs of the two decoration pieces they are not over expensive. This is what I did some years ago and over the years I have made this sword and scabbard seven times, what I do is cover the pictures with tracing paper and draw out the decoration. This tracing was then put onto 7 thou thick shim brass or even better 8 thou thick sterling silver, then with a blunt scibe the picture is transfered to the metal this is done on a piece of soft leather. What you now have is exactly the decoration of the Fulham on your metal, the next part is where one has to have the skill to do hand worked Repouss'e to raise the figures in relief. This method of hand worked repouss'e is exactly how this scabbard and the sword of Tiberius decoration plates were done not just a craftsman but an artist craftsman. In many situations hammers and punches were used however with these two scabbards I would say most definately not. This hand worked repouss'e is indeed an acquired art, however I would say that anyone who can draw can achieve it for it's simply creating a picture in metal.
---
Justin Keeling
Thank you for your advice, Brennius. I am in the process of getting Barker's "Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome - 4th Edition" which will hopefully be useful. Beyond that nowadays it's very easy to forget about those papery things for information! :-) )

Quote:I know what you mean about good accurate images Big Grin D
This is not going to be easy to find on the net this is the way Ive had to do it for years. This is just some of the research material I used for one type of sword in the below pic, so you need to use books and origonal pictures and then work out the pic by drawing it up on the work piece.
If you PM your email I can send some pics of drawings and origonals which with todays digital pics are as good as a line drawing Big Grin
---
Justin Keeling

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,763 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Creating a Fulham Scabbard With Reprousse~ Plates Pointer 5 2,275 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Gladius from Mainz Rado 52 14,652 08-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Rado