Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman missile
There is a type of Roman missile made of iron, with the system of fixation in the shape of pipe and the pyramidal head, 20cm of length. To that Roman machine belongs? Against that I use this missile?

Hay un tipo de proyectil romano fabricado en hierro, con el sistema de fijación en forma de tubo y la cabeza piramidal, 20cm de longitud. ¿A que romana máquina pertenece? ¿Contra que se uso este proyectil?
Moncada Martín, Gabriel / MARCII ULPI MESSALA
¿Foto? ¿Dimensiones? ¿Dónde está? (museo, publicación, etc):?
¿No coincide con nigún otro tipo de arma conocida? (Pilum, lanza, plumbata)

Just asking for more info... :wink:

¿Perhaps is like this one?

www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=20790
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
You can see an example in: "Roman Military Equipment": "Weapons"/Lance/Spear/Pilum, sixth photography, top line, The third missile for the left side.
The approximate measure of these missiles is of (20cm.) there is another equal specimen in the archaeological museum of Seville (Spain), I know two in particular collections.

Puedes ver un ejemplo en: “Roman Military Equipmentâ€
Perhaps either a macro-catapult bolt or either a short socketed pilum? :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Can you show to my image of a macro-catapult? Thank you aitor.

¿Puedes mostrarme una imagen de una macro-catapult? gracias aitor.
I was meaning just a catapult (Bolt-shooting, two-armed torsion artillery)of big size but equal to any other one... :?
It would help to some extent if we could see pics of those points from Sevilla you quote or, at least, their inner socket diameter. 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Good, I will put them as soon as possible, thank you again aitor.

Bien, las pondré lo antes posible, gracias de nuevo aitor.
OK Gabriel, muchas gracias! Big Grin

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
seville, diameter of the pipe, (1'5cm)

[img][Image: varioscruzetas002.jpg][/img]
Many thanks, Gabriel, Big Grin

They belonged to catapult bolts beyond any doubt. Confusedhock:
Do they have any known findspot or date?

Son puntas de dardo de catapulta. ¿Longitud? ¿Procedencia? ¿Datación?
:?:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
The archaeological one of Seville does not date the piece, only it offers his origin (Malaga), other two: (Malaga) and Osuna (Seville).
Were these missiles used against the infantry?

El arqueológico de Sevilla no data la pieza, solo ofrece su procedencia (Málaga), las otras dos: (Málaga) y Osuna (Sevilla).
¿Fueron usados estos proyectiles contra la infantería?
Thanks, Gabriel Big Grin

Yes, catapult bolts were used against infantry and cavalry, no matter if they were armoured or not :twisted:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Many thanks, Aitor