Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Under Vesuvius
Under Vesuvius (aka S.P.Q.R. XI) by John Maddox Roberts has just hit my shelves. I sat down and enjoyed it in one evening. This mystery, set in the time of Julius Caesar, was entertaining and not predictable. Of course, since I had spent several days wandering about the area, I was able to visualize with clarity as Mr. Roberts wove his delightful tale. [amazon]Under Vesuvius[/amazon]
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I just finished reading Under Vesuvius today at lunch. It is a very good and fun read, up to the level of its predecessors in every way. Decius' wife, Julia, is becoming a real asset to the series.
Quote:Of course, since I had spent several days wandering about the area, I was able to visualize with clarity as Mr. Roberts wove his delightful tale.
...if you enjoyed this, Charles, then I can thoroughly recommend 'Pompeii' and 'Imperium' ( about Cicero) by Robert Harris pub. Random House.....you are in for a treat if you haven't read these already.........
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:...if you enjoyed this, Charles, then I can thoroughly recommend 'Pompeii' and 'Imperium' ( about Cicero) by Robert Harris pub. Random House.....you are in for a treat if you haven't read these already.........

I had them both, left one in Lithuania at a friend's house this summer, not bad, but not John Maddox Roberts. :lol:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]