RomanArmyTalk
Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum (/showthread.php?tid=9946)

Pages: 1 2

Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - scythius - 07-19-2007

Two weekends ago, we debuted a new piece of kit for the group - a new vecillum. It was designed and executed by one of our civilian members, Mary Ann Sullivan.

Here's what she wrote on one of the lists:
Quote:The vex is approximately 16 inches wide by 18 inches long.

It's hand embroidered in cotton on linen. I chose to use cotton as it is stronger than silk floss would be, as well as more colorfast.

The design was inspitrf by several Roman Tunisian mosaics. Hibernicus provided examples for the lettering style.

The gold bullion fringe is taken from retired ecclesiastical vestments, and each strand of fringe is reinforced with heavy thread run up the center. Each strand has a 5mm freshwater pearl at the end, and 8mm pearls sewn along the top of the fringe.

From start to finish, the vexillum took 220 hours to make. I charge 20 USD/hour to sew. You can do the math!

It's pretty stunning, and the museum curators at the Dallas Museum of Art were impressed when they saw it last week.

Here's the link:
http://temurkhanlar.com/Roman/vex_m.jpg

Re: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs - 07-19-2007

OUCH! that is wicked-awesome workmanship! Radically sweeeeeeeet! 8)

My only question is... who gets the laudes, Mary Ann Sullivan or you??? :wink:

Seriously though, she did an absolutely amazing job.

If you want me to reduce the photo to an 800x800 so you can post both a LARGE image and an image that members can see in the thread, just let me know.

Re: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - Marcus Mummius - 07-19-2007

Great work!

A question: would a vexillum have had the centuria name and number on it?

Vale,

Re: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - Hibernicus - 07-19-2007

Centuria name? I was told that we just don't know.

The photo of course does not do this work justice. The Ladies wanted to spin the threads for the embroidery... time was a factor. The cloak, trident, hair and beard also have metal thread.. just enough to add some "sparkly".

Cristobal (Mary Ann Sullivan) is brilliant! And for all time she will want for nothing!

Re: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - scythius - 07-19-2007

Quote:Cristobal (Mary Ann Sullivan) is brilliant! And for all time she will want for nothing!

Hibi - you won't need to remember that.

She will. :lol: :lol:

I must say this vexillum has inspired me Smile

I want to make one myself but a painted one.

I'd also like to depict a god but I'm not sure which one. I don't know what god could be linked to Legio XI CPF.

Is there any clue as to which legio the original Victoria vexillum might have been linked? Where was it found in Egypt, in what context and which untis were stationed in that region?

But this might be stuff for another thread... :?

Re: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - Magnus - 07-19-2007

Man, that's a lot of money just to have Hib's signature on your flag! :lol:

Re: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - Hibernicus - 07-19-2007

No need to remind me about what it cost gettin' my name on that beauty! Don't you realize how hard the men in my Centuria are going to have to work for me so I can see to it that Cristobal is properly cared for? Oh the sacrifices I make!!

One down...

Quote:The historians Tacitus (in The Histories 2.85) and Suetonius (in The Twelve Caesars, Vespasian 6) both make mention of the leader's name written on the banner.

From the RedRampant.com website

http://www.redrampant.com/roma/vexillum.html

Re: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - Peroni - 07-20-2007

Lovely work! The Icthyocentaurs are very impressive!

Re: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - Robert Vermaat - 07-20-2007

Quote:No need to remind me about what it cost gettin' my name on that beauty!
Ah, so that's not actually you with the blue curtain flying around your shoulders? :wink:

It's a work of beauty.

Re: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - Hibernicus - 07-20-2007

Ah, so that's not actually you with the blue curtain flying around your shoulders? Robert Vermaat

Heck no! That's our very own G Marinus I-can't-come-to-the-workshop-because-I-have-to-go-to-Fiji-and-surf-that-weekend Micarius wearing a prop beard with his beach towel billowing in the wind!

I thought everyone knew that?

Re: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 07-20-2007

Quote:I'd also like to depict a god but I'm not sure which one. I don't know what god could be linked to Legio XI CPF.

Jef, I always thought it was Poseidon/Neptune.

Re: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - Marcus Mummius - 07-20-2007

Quote:
Marcus Mummius:2hgrfels Wrote:I'd also like to depict a god but I'm not sure which one. I don't know what god could be linked to Legio XI CPF.

Jef, I always thought it was Poseidon/Neptune.

I know some say it would be Poseidon, others say the bull. What's the source for all that? Do we have any literal, sculptural,... sources to back up this claim or is it 100% speculation, not to say just a guess?

Vale,
Jef

Re: Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 07-20-2007

Hi, Jef,
There was a recent thread here(in the last month) that gave a list of legions and their protectors/gods. Some had the same as others while most had only one. I wrote all of them down on paper to take home with me as well as the literary source. I'll check when I get home to see if I can find it. It gets frustrating sometimes when I can't find a thread later to share with someone. I wish I had a system of cataloging the standouts.
I think that the bull was representative of Caesar's 6th legion. Smile