RomanArmyTalk
Amazing pugio blade - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Amazing pugio blade (/showthread.php?tid=9569)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Amazing pugio blade - stevesarak - 05-31-2007

Hi,

When I first saw this blade I thought the lighter strips down the center and on the sides were from the light reflecting off higher ridges, but when I received it, I found that it only had one ridge running down the center and that the lighter strips were built into the blade itself. The strips or lighter colored metal runs down the center, down along the tang, and on to either side of the blade. Looking closer where the two meet, you can see more corrosion along the darker metal so whatever the lighter metal is, is corroding slower.

Looking at my links to Pugios in museums, I haven’t found any other blades like this, so of course this brings up a slew of questions:

Does anyone know of other blades like this, if so do you have any links that you can post.

What is the blend of the lighter colored metal? Silver, nickel, what?

Since the strips are a light silver color, when the blade was new, I’d think that they would have blended in with the rest of the blade making it hard to see, so what would be the point, unless to let other hold it in their hand and look close at the craftsmanship.

Are there any other examples of blades, dagger or swords like this?

Any ideas of which part of the empire it could have come from or is it just a custom job.

Considering the work in the blade, any idea on what the grip or scabbard would have looked like.

And last, is there anything else anyone could add to this. This is a highlight to my collection; some of you know that a few years ago I started collecting antiques; I’m still fairly new to it, so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for any information.

Re: Amazing pugio blade - stevesarak - 05-31-2007

Another

another

one more

Pugio - Celer - 05-31-2007

Salve,

From the look of the photos, it seems that it might not be an inlay as the corrosion pattern is the same for both shades of metal. Perhaps it is a result of the basic construction of the blade, with different bands of metal welded together to create the shading (vaguely similar to pattern-welding)? If so the pattern would have been emphasised by lightly staining the surface of the blade with fruit acid. The blade is a type 'C', which would place it later in the Empire, which would tie in with the possible construction technique.

Vale,

Celer.

Re: Amazing pugio blade - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-31-2007

Thats what it looks like Celer. Definately welded, but no pattern?

Very cool blade!(should be an emoticon with a green face here)

Do you plan on copying the blade in a reconstruction Steve? 8) 8)

Re: Pugio - stevesarak - 05-31-2007

Quote:Salve,

From the look of the photos, it seems that it might not be an inlay as the corrosion pattern is the same for both shades of metal. Perhaps it is a result of the basic construction of the blade, with different bands of metal welded together to create the shading (vaguely similar to pattern-welding)? If so the pattern would have been emphasised by lightly staining the surface of the blade with fruit acid. The blade is a type 'C', which would place it later in the Empire, which would tie in with the possible construction technique.

Vale,

Celer.

Thanks for the input,

The pattern of corrosion on the outside of the blade is the same, but along the strips, the darker material is corroding slightly faster then the lighter. If you click and enlarge the pictures you can see some small thin gaps where the darker material was corroding away from the lighter material, which would also support it being made of different bands of metal.

I’m not familiar with staining metal, but with the corrosion that took place, wouldn’t the lighter bands top layer, being slightly corroded away, look the same as the darker metal. I wouldn’t think staining it would penetrate so deep, but again, I’m not familiar with it.

If it is made of different bands, any idea of the material of each. I’m assuming the darker is mostly iron, any idea of what could have been added in greater quantity to make the lighter, lighter?

Quote:Do you plan on copying the blade in a reconstruction Steve? 8) 8)

Yes, once I get an idea of what the grip and scabbard should look like, I plan on drawing up blueprints then have an exact copy made. But I'm still unsure about what it would have looked like in its day. With silver on silver, you couln't really see the pattern, so I believe there was possibly more to it then that. Maybe the darker material was stained to off set the ligher. Once I've decided on what its origianl look was then I'll have a copy made.

Re: Amazing pugio blade - Primvs Pavlvs - 05-31-2007

Steve you can get a contrast in the metals by applying acid.

perhaps the different metal composition stained to a different color, as I think Celer was saying?
Or, perhaps it was just the different properties that were desired, to give it a balance of hardness and flexibility!

Quote:Steve you can get a contrast in the metals by applying acid.

Would the contrast go far enough down so that when the top layer was corroded away, you'd still see the contrast :?:

Re: Amazing pugio blade - Primvs Pavlvs - 05-31-2007

Quote:
Primvs Pavlvs:1fwd15k1 Wrote:Steve you can get a contrast in the metals by applying acid.

Would the contrast go far enough down so that when the top layer was corroded away, you'd still see the contrast :?:

Sorry I wasnt clear. I am speaking about a reconstruction. If it was welded from two different steels acid will bring out the contrast in them. Most "damascus" makers I know use watered down muratic acid, or even lemon juice to bring out the contrast.

Quote:perhaps the different metal composition stained to a different color, as I think Celer was saying?
Or, perhaps it was just the different properties that were desired, to give it a balance of hardness and flexibility!

I wonder if in its day, the blade looked as a single piece of metal with no strips, with the strips comming out when the corrision fadding the different compostions differently? Hmmm

Who are you going to have do the reconstruction?

Quote:Who are you going to have do the reconstruction?

I haven't spoke to him yet, but I was thinking of Matt L.

Do you recommend anyone?