RomanArmyTalk
Embosed bronze segmentata? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Embosed bronze segmentata? (/showthread.php?tid=8824)

Pages: 1 2

Embosed bronze segmentata? - Sulla - 03-24-2007

Hi all I was looking doing research for a project and noticed this peace that had been sold from a dealer. Any way I thought it was interesting and I would post it. Sorry if its already been posted.

Oh also are there any others we know of like it?

http://www.trocadero.com/janus/items/411865/item411865store.html

Here is a secound one from the same place http://www.trocadero.com/janus/items/413024/item413024store.html#item

Discription.

Quote:Roman armor at the height of the empire was much different from the solid, muscled curiasses that we tend to associate with the ancient world. To allow maximum flexibility and ease of movement, the Romans developed a segmented type of armor that we refer to as lorica segmentata. This armor consisted of strips and plaques of armor that were hooked and buckled together to make a flexible, protective covering that could be more easily repaired by simply replacing damaged pieces. (Please see the last two photographs for a diagram of armor segments and a drawing of a full suit of this type of armor.) While putting the armor on was a bit like assembling a jigsaw puzzle, this superior armor gave the later Roman army a decided advantage in combat.
This segment of armor is one of two bronze alloy breastplates that rode over the chest directly beneath the neck. Dating to the 2nd century A.D., this piece of armor would have literally sat directly over the heart of a Roman soldier who fought at the historical peak of the empire. Given that most of the Guttman collection came from western Europe, it is very likely that the owner of this armor could have fought against the Germanic tribes under Trajan, Hadrian, or Marcus Aurelius! The repousee bust on the plaque is of the god Mars, who was the Roman deity of war and combat. He wears a high-crested helmet cavalry helmet, some of which is lost to damage. Directly below the bust is a repousee shield, and above him are a few remains of a repousee legionary eagle, most of which was lost due to damage. Note also the holes and slots around the periphery where other plaques would have attached. This piece includes one partial remnant hook in the hole at the top point where the mid-collar shoulder plate would have attached, and the ancient "washer" that kept the two plates from rubbing together is still intact!

A particularly interesting aspect of this plaque is that it has a punch-hole inscription where the soldier had personalized the armor. One inscription is found above and to the left of the bust, the other is at the very bottom edge of the segment.

The Guttman collection was one of the world's premier collections of military history, and it housed some of the finest Roman military artifacts in the private domain. Much of the collection has been sold through Christies over two auctions in 2002 and 2004. This armor plaque was sold in the 2004 auction, and I will provide information on the specific lot (in addition to the original Christies tags and a scan of the catalog page describing the lot) to the buyer. Please note that I have three similar breastplates from the same lot also listed!

CONDITION: In good shape overall. A mostly outdated European practice for antiquities was to strip bronze objects clean of their patinas, which happened to this plaque. It was then stabilized and re-coated with an artificial patina. This appears a little odd, but it was a perfectly normal practice at the time that the Guttman collection was assembled. Please note the damage to the top half, which may very well have occurred to the severe detriment of the original owner! The very top has been reattached as a result of this damage.

DIMENSIONS: Just under 8" tall

Re: Embosed bronze segmentata? - Praefectusclassis - 03-24-2007

Hi Patrick,
I believe those are locking plates for scale armor, not segmentata pieces.

Re: Embosed bronze segmentata? - Sulla - 03-24-2007

Hmm same type of piece is listed as part of lorica hamata at [url:qu9i10xk]http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquipment-Body-Armour.html[/url]

Yes just noticed the discription at the other place.

Re: Embosed bronze segmentata? - Dan Howard - 03-24-2007

If bronze segmentata could be proved it would destroy my suggestion that the segmentata was only "peasant armour".

Peasant armour seems to be a rather subjective term. Were not many in the legion well paid and well off compared to "peasants".

Re: Embosed bronze segmentata? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 03-24-2007

Hmmm, would be a good choice for a centurion!

Re: Embosed bronze segmentata? - Tarbicus - 03-25-2007

Do the holes follow the pattern of any example of iron seg breastplate? It seems not, to me.

Re: Embosed bronze segmentata? - sulla felix - 03-25-2007

Crazy suggestion - what if this were a fancy overlay for an iron seg breast plate (a later embellishment)? The legionary's equivalent of chrome wheel trims 8)

Re: Embosed bronze segmentata? - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 03-25-2007

That pieces are, as Jasper has said, for the breast and for close the neck opening of squamata and less probably hamata. There are a lot of them over the roman empire, as we can see at Robinson, for exemple. Normally there were decorated with the head of Minerva/Rome (a helmeted woman), the same motif we can see in other cavalry equipment of II/III century as greaves.

The hollows at the side are for linking with the scales or with the mail. There have no sense in a segmentata breast place.

Re: Embosed bronze segmentata? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 03-25-2007

:roll: Well, it would be a nice departure from old ironsides! :lol:

Re: Embosed bronze segmentata? - Sulla - 03-25-2007

It would be interesting to look at a lot of them and see if they all have the fittings and holes for the squamata or if some look like they could be made for other things.

Re: Embosed bronze segmentata? - caiusbeerquitius - 03-25-2007

Quote:That pieces are, as Jasper has said, for the breast and for close the neck opening of squamata and less probably hamata.
In fact, the Bertoldsheim chainmail had still one attached.
I have never seen one that had not the typical pairs of holes or single rivets for attachment to either a hamata or squamata.

Re: Embosed bronze segmentata? - Marcus Julius - 03-26-2007

Very similar pieces are shown in The Roman Cavalry by Dixon and Southern (which just arrived in my mailbox Friday, and I have been viciously devouring ever since) in the photo gallery between pages 112 and 113:
Quote:Pair of bronze plates from Manching, Germany, which are believed to have been worn on the chest of a mail or scale shirt. Owing to their elaborate nature they may have been reserved for use during the hippika gymnasia.

The ones pictured in that publication (photo from the Praehistorische Staatssammlung, Munich) have two turnkeys on the right breastplate to lock into those rectangular slots seen on your picture. Much like the way the bands of the "Newstead" seg lock together.

I would scan the page, but I'm unsure of copyright for one. For two, I'm not too familiar with photo posting in the board.

Re: Embosed bronze segmentata? - caiusbeerquitius - 03-26-2007

Well, basically all these plates do have those turnkeys. Or tubes attached to the lower plate that are put through holes in the upper plate and are closed with a thick wire.
Oh, and ALL of these date to the very late 2nd and 3rd century. Smile
Here´s a reconstruction by Junkelmann:
[Image: DSC01695.jpg]
Originals:
[Image: DSC01694.jpg]
[Image: DSC01696.jpg]