RomanArmyTalk
A stabbing and nobody is bothered - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: A stabbing and nobody is bothered (/showthread.php?tid=8576)

Pages: 1 2

A stabbing and nobody is bothered - Arthes - 03-01-2007

This is awful...I found it by accident when looking for another clip...
Stabbing
Did one guy steal something from the stabbed one..

Re: A stabbing and nobody is bothered - Magnus - 03-01-2007

I've had my fill of blood today, but is that the one where it's the two guys who stab and beat the other? I'm pretty sure they got caught, thanks to the surveillance tape.

Yet another reason to clean out the bad weeds of human society.

Re: A stabbing and nobody is bothered - Paullus - 03-01-2007

While I support the ethical killing of animals (I eat meat, and proud of it), I find it sad that the dolphin petition got more replies and shouts of protests than this example of human on human violence. Whatever the reasons for this stabbing, petty and pointless as it is, this is far more important than how dolphins die IMHO, with no disrespect to the members of RAT.

But seriously, this thread was posted roughly six hours (if I'm reading the times right - tired, exam week) before the dolphin thread and this thread has only one reply. Conversely, the dolphin thread has 53 as I write this. What is that? Really?

Are we that desensitized to human suffering that dolphins (however noble and worthy of protection) get more mention than our fellow man, to quote Shakespeare's famous words on brotherhood, "be he ne're so vile?"

I apologize if my post seems a little pointed but I truly am shocked. Granted one can't say much to this video beyond its sickening apathy and ignorance but still.....

Re: A stabbing and nobody is bothered - Memmia - 03-02-2007

Salve Paullus,

I can see your point entirely. Man's inhumanity to man is a sad thing and a sign of the times.
I don't think members of RAT care less for humans than dolphins, but I feel many saw this and just had nothing to say, they didn't want to post a reply to this. An incident like this is out of everyone's hands and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. You can help reduce it, but not stop it. The dolphin petition is another matter, it is far easier to stop the actions of the fishermen, it's impossible to wipe out crime like this shown on the video, this is how we treat each other. It's just a horrible reminder of how wicked some people are to other fellow men

Regarding apathy of the passers by- apathy is a bigger killer than crime.

Unfortunately we are all becoming increasingly apathetic.

When we see mass slaughter and carnage every day in Darfur, Iraq etc and hear of violent crimes in the media every day etc we become immune to it unfortunately.

Maybe the dolphin slaughter just makes a change newswise to the stabbing and murder of innocent humans, that's why it gets more attention. Cry Cry

Re: A stabbing and nobody is bothered - Magnus - 03-02-2007

I am not sure how to call this...I think man's capacity to do evil as well as good, makes it different. Animals don't become drug dealers or mass murderers. So yeah, I feel more for animals, sorry.

Not to mention the fact that a human can defend themselves against another human. We can take steps to arm and protect ourselves from attackers. Animals can't do jack against a human attack.

Also, a human vs human on land is somewhat more equal than taking something out of it's native environment ie water, and slaughtering it on land. It'd be like plucking a human, sticking him in space, and slicing his throat.

So no, I don't feel as bad for buddy who got stabbed, it's still tragic, but not on the same level.

Re: A stabbing and nobody is bothered - Paullus - 03-02-2007

I understand what you are saying Matt and you make good points Smile I am just referring to the concept of care for people over animals, because in the end the man who was stabbed in the video could be you or me, if the situations were different. Doesn't take us being drug dealers or scumbags to have this happen, its the concept that fellow human beings would at least care more about the death or injury of one of their own than a cetacean.

At least for your's or my sake in that scenario.

And please don't take this personally :!: I'm not signling anyone or group out by any means and I'm sorry if it comes across that way. I'm just working on the concept as a whole.

Re: A stabbing and nobody is bothered - Tarbicus - 03-02-2007

I've seen a few incidents since moving to London (a lot of nutters down here), and what generally happens is strangers will step in but are unwilling to hit or restrain the parties involved. Instead, they try to talk the situation down while others will call the police. The situations vary, but what I do know (from being a victim of a mugging that put me in hospital) is that if the passers-by recognise that there is actually a victim in the incident (the muggee, like me, where the muggers went too far and could have killed me) they will step in and help with force. If it's a fight involving willing parties on both sides, everyone will stay away but might call the police instead, I think understandably because the situation's incredibly volatile. Such things are very fluid and can go anywhere, especially with the latter case, and especially where a blade is involved. In the video there's a guy following the injured man, I think to make sure he's okay but obviously still wary of him and keeping a distance, simply because he isn't privy to the events leading up to such an extreme situation. If the guy had fallen to the ground with blood gushing from his neck he definitely would have stepped in to help him IMHO.

In one incident I did get involved, both trying to calm the situation and getting someone to call the police. But then a knife appeared and the dynamic completely changed (we were on a bus). Nobody got stabbed, but there were a whole bunch of guys ready to jump on him if it got too serious. However, you just never know where an incident will go, and you can't really blame people for steering clear if the situation gets too dodgy and they're untrained to deal with it.

Just my thoughts.

Re: A stabbing and nobody is bothered - Gaius Julius Caesar - 03-02-2007

I just noticed this post! Very sad! Humans tend to do the strangest things in strange circumstances! Sad that no one intervened, though!

Re: A stabbing and nobody is bothered - spyros - 03-02-2007

Homo homini lupus Sad

Re: A stabbing and nobody is bothered - TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 03-02-2007

Quote:Very sad! Humans tend to do the strangest things in strange circumstances!

Absolutely! Humans are able of the worst abominations...

[Image: boobs.jpg]

[Image: user756_1153371702.jpg]

[Image: imperial-roman-helmet-8112.jpg]

If humans do so, animals don't, so at least we ought to respect them a little bit more...

Valete,

Re: A stabbing and nobody is bothered - Magnus - 03-02-2007

LOL

Re: A stabbing and nobody is bothered - Cornelius Quintus - 03-02-2007

Quote:being a victim of a mugging that put me in hospital

Ave Jim,

makes me sad to read that. Sad

You hopefully completely recovered (or earned a scar at the right location to increase authenticity in your Roman impression :wink: )

Seems a sturdy seg and sharp gladius is still useful today - at least in London's public local traffic...

Re: A stabbing and nobody is bothered - TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 03-02-2007

Oh, I'm sure that Jim has a tough skin... Lucky the guy who bothered him that he did not have his pugio along...Big Grin

Valete,

well - Caius Fabius - 03-02-2007

I figure there are plenty of humans in the world, and humans are not an endangered species. If everyone was carrying a gun, there would be a lot less muggings and muggers, but people choose to become defenseless in the name of safety..... It's when humans turn and start butchering animals that can't fight back (not won't... CAN'T), that I get upset.

No war has ever increased the actual human death rate, no plague has ever increased the human death rate, no act of violence has ever increased the human death rate, it still remains 100% :twisted:

Re: well - Tarbicus - 03-02-2007

Quote:If everyone was carrying a gun, there would be a lot less muggings and muggers,
Aye. But there'd be a lot more shootings :wink:

Quote:Oh, I'm sure that Jim has a tough skin... Lucky the guy who bothered him that he did not have his pugio along...Big Grin
More because I was unconscious I bounced like rubber and only had a bust rib and lots of stitches, even though they were using my head for a football.

One thing that amazed me was how resilient the body can be, but that doesn't mean that unlucky punch can't kill someone.

Quote:makes me sad to read that. Sad

You hopefully completely recovered (or earned a scar at the right location to increase authenticity in your Roman impression :wink: )

Seems a sturdy seg and sharp gladius is still useful today - at least in London's public local traffic...
Just left with a scar on the chin, hardly able to move for a week, and enough radar to get the first punch in next time :wink: Strangely, I'm more willing to face someone off these days when they're being aggressive. You figure it out :?