RomanArmyTalk
Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch (/showthread.php?tid=8392)

Pages: 1 2

Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - Martin Moser - 02-12-2007

Hi all,

here is another drawstring pouch I came across recently, this time found at Bargercompascuum (Netherlands) in the 1950s. It contained over 300 denarii, the youngest ones from Commodus. Size is about 22 x 26 cm.
As I found out by now, it actually was shortly discussed last summer (see here), but I seem to have missed it at the time...

Literature: Schlabow, K. Der römische Münzschatz von Bargercompascuum (Drenthe). II. Der Geldbeutel. Palaeohistoria 5, 1956: 81-87.

[Image: Bargercompascuum_03.jpg]

[Image: Bargercompascuum_01.jpg]

Inside the lower half is divided into two compartments by a piece of leather:

[Image: Bargercompascuum_02.jpg]

Re: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - Martin Moser - 02-12-2007

Drawings of the original find:

[Image: Bargercompascuum_p82detail.jpg]

[Image: Bargercompascuum_p83detail.jpg]

[Image: Bargercompascuum_p85detail.jpg]

Re: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - Mark Headlee - 02-12-2007

As per usual..excellent work Martin...LAUDES....

Re: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 02-12-2007

Very nice. How is make the decoration?

Re: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - Geoffrey - 02-13-2007

Outstanding work! What kind of leather did you use? cowhide, lamb, deer?

Re: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - Martin Moser - 02-13-2007

Quote:How is make the decoration?

Do you mean the dark stripes? For those you have to wet the leather with water and then stamp/incise/impress the decoration on the surface. With thin leather you have to take care not to use too much force or you will damage or cut through. I feel this technique works best when the leather is not soaking wet but about halfways dry. For the lines I used a bone knife as shoemakers or bookbinders use it, but anything smooth and roundedged of the right size should do I think.

Quote:What kind of leather did you use? cowhide, lamb, deer?

I used goat leather, for the original sheep or goat was used acording to the author.

Some more info on the purse (I was too tired yesterday evening...):

As can be seen in the pics above, the purse is made of 2 identical pieces of thin leather, with a third layer in the middle inserted in the lower half to make 2 compartments within. The line decoration is impressed alternatingly from the outside and the inside, probably to assist the bag's collapsing into regular folds when pulled shut. The leather was strengthened on the inside with a leather band where the holes for the drawstring are. This strengthening leather band was cut where the impressed lines are, as to not hinder the folding up. The area of the outer holes on both sides were further strengthened by small pieces of leather. The bag was sewn with a plant fiber thread. The drawstring itself seems to have ended in an oval, doubled piece of leather taking up the braided ends.

Re: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - Flavius Promotus - 02-13-2007

Great job as usual!! Big Grin

Re: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - James B. - 02-15-2007

Another fine looking bag Martin; what kind of tool did you use to make the line impressions?

Re: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - jvrjenivs - 02-15-2007

Quote:Another fine looking bag Martin; what kind of tool did you use to make the line impressions?

Quote:
LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS:89g04bbq Wrote:How is make the decoration?

Do you mean the dark stripes? For those you have to wet the leather with water and then stamp/incise/impress the decoration on the surface. With thin leather you have to take care not to use too much force or you will damage or cut through. I feel this technique works best when the leather is not soaking wet but about halfways dry. For the lines I used a bone knife as shoemakers or bookbinders use it, but anything smooth and roundedged of the right size should do I think.

Re: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-15-2007

thats pretty cool, a suitable addition to a legionaries kit? No one ever seems to ask the price though! Smile

Re: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - James B. - 02-15-2007

Thanks Jvrjenivs I read right past the bone knife part for some reason.

Re: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - Magnus - 02-15-2007

Kind of reminds me of something native indian.

Re: Bargercompascuum Drawstring Pouch - Mark Headlee - 02-15-2007

Ave,

Just email Martin and he will tell you the price for each item he makes. I can speak from personal experience that his prices are reasonable considering the research and workmanship that he puts into the leather gear he makes.

Keep in mind he does this out of love for Roman history and to help his fellow historians improve their kits, not as a business. But you will not be disappointed. Martin is one of the greatest and most patient persons I have met (though be it over the net and by mail)..he is great to work with.... Big Grin