RomanArmyTalk
Share Your Greek Artwork - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Share Your Greek Artwork (/showthread.php?tid=8094)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: Share Your Greek Artwork - JVL - 04-07-2008

Yes, I have done that already...

Re: Share Your Greek Artwork - Agesilaos - 04-16-2008

Greetings to everyone!

Im new to this site, but not new to the topic.

The most harmonic and beautyfull depiction of a greek
warrior, is of course one of the „riace bronzes sculptures“.

The two Greek bronze- warriors from the sea off coast of southern Italy (Calabria) near the village of Riace, were found in August 1972. Probably due to a storm they were thrown from a ship that was near Calabria.

These 2 statues (460-420 BC), showing very probable a young athenian hoplite (with the headband).

The other one could be a older corinthian hoplite, but this is only deduced from his weathered conrinthian helmet.

The statues are just mindblowing, and they are the best preserved and found bronzes. Especialy the eyes have eyelashes, made from thin silver. This is just one amazing detail.

Follow these links for more informations:
http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Arts/RiaceWarrior.htm
(end of page, aspis and spear-reconstruction.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riace_Warriors

Cheers.

PS: Sorry for the double pic -post.

-Agesilaos

Re: Share Your Greek Artwork - Giannis K. Hoplite - 04-17-2008

Wellcome Agesilaos! I totally agree that the Riace warriors are two of the best sculptures ever found. Some say they're Fidias' pieces,two of the 12bronze warriors the Athenians dedicated to Delphi for their victory in Marathon( althought ehy dedicated them many years after the battle) But this is only one of the theories. Their arms,helmet and shield were also silver! However,this is not the apropriate thread to post them. This is for modern art concerning ancient Greece. Smile wink:
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Share Your Greek Artwork - rogue_artist - 06-18-2008

Here are some I did for a gaming book a while back. Kind of fanciful, but "based on history"...

[Image: natural_hoplite.gif]

[Image: apathycus_action.gif]

[Image: dinosword_print_BnW_dark.jpg]

My Medieval works are actually 100% historic. I *wish* I was as knowledgeable about Ancient civilizations.... but then again, thats why Im here Smile

In my post about Athenian Hoplite, Ill be marking up speculative designs and posting the illustrations there. Entirely for others to nit-pick to death, actually Wink The purpose of the illustrations to be posted there are so the kind folks here can direct me to making it perfect. So that, in turn, the kit I am creating for myself will be as accurate as possible.

-Jason

Re: Share Your Greek Artwork - Albert G Lopez - 06-19-2008

Jason!

Your work is excellent.

Re: Share Your Greek Artwork - rogue_artist - 06-19-2008

thanks very kindly! Big Grin

It amazes me how many really talented artist are around here (Ohio, Michigan, etc). I used to think all the really talented people have to live in L.A. or Silicon Valley! LOL

Re: Share Your Greek Artwork - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-19-2008

Your style is quite interesting..reminds me of another genere....heavy metal comics from the 70's possibly! Nice work! 8)

thanks kindly for that! I wonder if Heavy Metal is still around?

Re: Share Your Greek Artwork - hoplite14gr - 06-20-2008

Quote:thanks kindly for that! I wonder if Heavy Metal is still around?

Alive and kicking :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

kind regards

Re: Share Your Greek Artwork - Albert G Lopez - 06-20-2008

Quote:Too me look like a better style of mike frazetta, I never finished to watch heavy metal animated series though. :lol:

You mean the Master of fantasy art - Frank Frazetta.

Artist(s) wanted for book drawings - sitalkes - 06-21-2008

Hi, can you help? I need about 40 photographs converted into black and white line drawings for my new book The Gods of Battle (about the Thracians). The book will be published next year by Pen & Sword books in the UK but the drawings must be submitted (in electronic format) before August 23 this year. The photographs (which are all jpegs, mostly black and white) are of ancient warriors and their equipment, as depicted on vases and grave stele. You must produce accurate reproductions (just tracing the image using a transparent layer in Photoshop, or some other Photoshop wizardry, would be fine) but you can fill in gaps or create full restorations if you wish.

Cheers,

Re: Share Your Greek Artwork - rogue_artist - 06-23-2008

yeah I can do illustrations for you Smile

rogue(at)rogue-artist.com

(replace the (at) with an @ symbol; its an anti-spam measure)

cool beans!
-Jason

Re: Share Your Greek Artwork - Giannis K. Hoplite - 06-23-2008

Of cource they did,Gioi! The crimson CLOAK was their distinctive piece of clote that defined some of them as Spartans. They were given only one such every year. Once again,Spartans were not that different from other city-states...
Notice the sleeved early chitons. Unfortunately they're too stylized to be sure about measurements and construction.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: Share Your Greek Artwork - rogue_artist - 06-24-2008

So should my chitin me sleeved then? To a couple of inches above the elbow, looking at the above picture (thanks for that Gioi!)

And how are the patterns made? hand-embroidered? Or painted on?

man those things are short! lol