RomanArmyTalk
"Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! (/showthread.php?tid=7864)

Pages: 1 2

"Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - Virilis - 12-26-2006

I would like to know more about this book and if it is worth the 170 or so dollars: "Excavations at Dura Europos: Final Report VII: Arms and Armour and other Military Equipment. by Simon James."

I assume that it is a coffee table sized book? I know the textual context is valuable in itself but how about the pictures? I have seen some colour reconstruction drawings about "Dura" period soldiers, exactly how many of those are in the book? How about pictures of the helmet and sword finds? Horse armour is not exactly my greatest interest and I know there is plenty of information about those famous transition-era shields. So any information appreciated. I have wanted to buy this book for a long time now, especially now when I have a Niederbieber helmet :wink: ...

Re: "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - Virilis - 12-26-2006

Just ordered the hardbackcopy of it for 139 canadian dollars, please don`t say that it is a complete waste of money, I have wanted it for years :wink: ....

finally I\'ll get some useful comments - Goffredo - 12-26-2006

I'm happy you got it. I greatly respect your opinions and cann't wait for you to tell us if it is worth getting that expensive book. I really hope you are happy you got it and might describe the images and photos it contains. Cheers

Re: "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - Matthew Amt - 12-26-2006

You'll love it. I borrowed someone else's copy, and it was fascinating--and that's not even my era!

You're supposed to put things like that on your Christmas list, so that someone ELSE buys it FOR you!

Happy reading,

Matthew

Re: "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - Marcus Mummius - 12-26-2006

Quote:You'll love it. I borrowed someone else's copy, and it was fascinating--and that's not even my era!

You're supposed to put things like that on your Christmas list, so that someone ELSE buys it FOR you!

Happy reading,

Matthew

Will you buy this book for me Matt? 8)

I think you'll be very pleased Jyrki. I had the chanche to browse through this book too and it looked fantastic!

Re: "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - Caballo - 12-26-2006

I picked up the book several times before putting it down as too expensive and out of my budget. I finally bought it- and it is one of the most fascinating books on Roman army equipment that I own- and one that I constantly refer to. IMHO, you won't regret it!

Cheers

Caballo

Re: "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - caiusbeerquitius - 12-26-2006

Yup. Agreed. Big Grin

Re: "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - aitor iriarte - 12-26-2006

Yes, it is a must-have.
Anyway, only a few fragments of Roman helmets were recovered from Dura and, contrarily to what you seem to expect, the horse armour is not properly described on the book because the author couldn't have free access to it... Sad

Aitor

Re: "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - Virilis - 12-26-2006

Thanks guys, I have been considering of buying this book for a loooong time :wink: ! It seems that it will be worth the price after all (in general I like to collect books, not only about roman history...)

Dura Europas book - Celer - 12-29-2006

I have a copy as well (I think), indespensible. All I have to do is get it back from Nodge Nolan!

Celer.

Re: "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - Peroni - 01-01-2007

Quote:All I have to do is get it back from Nodge Nolan!

Want me to intervene Celer? I see Nodge quite a bit.

Nodge the retainer - Celer - 01-01-2007

Salve Peronis,

That would be nice! If you are going to the Saturnalia I could pick it up them. By the way, nothing wrong with Nodge - due to work committments I never got a change to meet him last year. Also, while you are about it, could you ask him how my Pidlington knife is coming along?

Vale,

Celer.

Re: "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - Conal - 01-02-2007

Quote: You're supposed to put things like that on your Christmas list, so that someone ELSE buys it FOR you! Matthew

And He lives in your kneck of the woods :roll:

Re: "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - Dan Howard - 01-02-2007

James' work cost me many months worth of my annual book budget. It was worth it.

Re: "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! - Mithras - 01-11-2007

Damn, why didn't I think about that!! My wife would have tracked down a copy for me if she'd had to go out to Syria herself!

And I can't bring myself to spend that much money when I can but 3 or 4 other books that I also want, for the same price. :roll:

Quote:You're supposed to put things like that on your Christmas list, so that someone ELSE buys it FOR you!

Happy reading,

Matthew