RomanArmyTalk
Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Romanarmy.com Projects (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting (/showthread.php?tid=7606)

Pages: 1 2

Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - M.H. White - 12-01-2006

So it would be tremendously helpful for all newcomes to the world of reenacting if one of you tremendously knowledgeable guys would compose a thread in the reenactment forum as a sort of guide to help the new people. Things like a basic checklist of kit items, links to good places to find essential pieces of kit, like the scutum, lorica, helmet, caligae, etc, as well as some information that people who are just starting out wouldn't be likely to know, like what all is involved and where to look for a group, etc.

Unfortunately, I am supremely unqualified to write such a guide, as I'm new to reenacting myself, only recently having made the decision to start trying to acquire my kit.

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - Praefectusclassis - 12-01-2006

Not that I have anything against this idea, but you mean something over and above Matt Amt's Legionary Handbook?

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - Medusa Gladiatrix - 12-01-2006

This reminds me of the topic which we had intended to discuss at the RAT Conference but due to time had to drop it. Maybe Christian aka caiustarquitius could say something more about this topic and we start the discussion here on the board then.

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - Tarbicus - 12-01-2006

If you intend to join a re-enactment group, it's by far the wisest thing to just get in touch with them, and also read any guidelines they have on their website if they have one. They all vary, and there is no catch-all as far as I can tell.

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - M.H. White - 12-01-2006

Quote:Not that I have anything against this idea, but you mean something over and above Matt Amt's Legionary Handbook?

Hmm, it seems this Legionary Handbook is something I've missed.( was afraid there'd be a guide I had been unable to find. /open mouth, insert foot) Mind pointing me in the right direction?

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - Praefectusclassis - 12-01-2006

http://www.larp.com/legioxx Big Grin

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - M.H. White - 12-01-2006

Why yes, that was exactly what I was talking about. Cheers, Jasper!

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - caiusbeerquitius - 12-07-2006

The topic at the confrence was a "thesaurus" for RAT. Clarifying terminology etc.

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - Gaius_Calvus - 01-30-2007

Avete,

No one does a better site than Matt Amt for Legio XX, but one thing that I found that it lacks is a "Guide for Assembly of the Basic Kit" -- something that tells a new recruit what kit to obtain in which order.

To remedy that, I posted this one on our Legio's website (Legio XI in Atlanta, GA) at this link: http://www.11thlegion.com/id1.html

Keep in mind -- this is for a small group, and it is not THE way to do this, only A way to assemble the kit and obtain items. I learned it through trial and error. Big Grin

Here it is, extracted from the page:

Assembling your Basic Kit

A Brief Tutorial on Gear Assembly:

When assembling your gear, it's sometimes tough to decide where to start. For this reason, a brief tutorial from the Centurio is offered here to guide a new recruit in "a way" to proceed. See the section below entitled "The Basic Kit for the Legionairy" for links to pages with more detailed descriptions on each item.

This is not the only way. This hobby is different for all of us, but these tips are ones that some of us have learned the hard way through trial and error.

Having said that, this is the order I would recommend:

1) Caligae. Since feet are individual and you will be spending a lot of time on them, I would get your Caligae FIRST! Either follow the patterns in the "Handbook for Legionaries" under the "Caligae" link, or order a nice set from PAR Fabrica. Many of your brothers have bought them here for a good price.

2) Tunica/Focale. These are easily made at the same time. Either follow the instructions on the "Tunica" link from the "Handbook for Legionaries" page, or contact the Centurio. I prefer the "teabag" pattern with no sleeves, but many options are possible. This thing should fit you like a tent, and I can supply you with a pattern and potential fabric choices. At all costs, try to avoid a garish, bright red. Blood Red is preferred.

3) Balteus. Every legionary should make his own balteus. This item teaches you many skills that you will need as you work on your complete kit -- leatherworking, metal work, riveting, etc. All great skills. Several good suppliers of parts out there, from relatively inexpensive to expensive. Contact the centurio before you order plates or even whole baltei that are not accurate and a waste of money.

4) Gladius. For the gladius, you can go with an inexpensive option, or you can get expensive (Albion or Mark Morrow). If you are planning to order a custom blade, plan on it taking several months to arrive. Albion ships pretty quickly, as does Find-It Armory. Albion and Mark Morrow are well worth the money, but that's up to the individual legionary. Probably the best inexpensive gladii for the money are the #SDK1171 Pompeii-style gladius from Find-It Armory and the SOTW0040 gladius from Soul of the Warrior. Chris (Find-It) and Rusty Myers (SOTW) usually have them in stock, and they are both good buys at $85-$95. Talk to the centurio for more gladius advice.

5) Pugio and Scabbard. Again, lots of options here. Inexpensive: from Deepeeka (the Brass Beaded version) to the very nice version from Soul of the Warrior (SOTW0028). Expensive: Custom work from Len Morgan (Fabrica) or Mark Morrow. You get what you pay for. Bottom line -- whatever option you choose will take awhile, so order early from SOTW, Find-It, or your custom maker.

6) Galea. All of the versions listed as "approved" on the Legio XX site are also approved for Legio XI. Order this one early (as soon as you can afford it) -- all of the vendors are at the mercy of Deepeeka, and it may take several weeks or even months for it to arrive. So, call/email the various vendors/suppliers for availability before you order your galea.

7) Scutum. There are a couple of scutum presses in the legion, and you should start early on yours. We can supply you with the pressed, curved blank for a very reasonable fee (usually less than $20), as well as the pattern for the painted emblem. While a nice leather rim is acceptable, brass is preferred and not that hard to do. For an umbo, the best I've seen are from Mark Morrow. The Deepeeka umboa are crap. This is another item I highly recommend you make yourself. Most, if not all, of the complete "off the shelf" scuta are not worth having. Click on the image to the left to see a diagram of Legio XI's scutum pattern. Cardboard templates of this pattern can be obtained from the centurio.

8) Lorica/Subarmalis. The only acceptable off-the-shelf segmentatas out there are from Albion and Deepeeka (the new version). Contact me for more information. For custom work, order one from Matt Lukes. For a hamata, the 8mm version from Find-It Armory is a great buy, as is the 6mm version. Both are accurate, the 6mm slightly moreso. If you want to make your own segmentata, we can help you do that, as well. It is cheaper, but honestly not that much cheaper depending on how much work you personally want to put into it.
For your subarmalis it will depend on which lorica you choose. Lots of good patterns available, none available off-the-shelf that are worth the price. You are much better off making your own. Contact the centurio for more information.

9) Pilum. Order this one last, from SOTW or Roman Legion Quartermaster. Both are cheap and accurate.

Final Note: Remember, you are not in this alone! Come to the workshops. Ask someone more experienced for help. Somebody in the legio has already made whatever it is you are trying to make, and will help you with yours at a workshop. That's why we have them (and encourage you to attend).

Valete,

Edge

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - Primvs Pavlvs - 01-30-2007

I would like to add that Matt Amts list is usually accepted with most Roman units worldwide. Matt has spent many years, and efforts in gathering this information for us to use, and we all owe him a lot.

Edge,

Thats a great list mind if I borrow some of it for my website?

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - Gaius_Calvus - 01-30-2007

Paul,

Not at all -- you can use anything from our website you want -- thanks to Matt Amt we borrowed (with permission) a great deal of content from his.

This was the only thing I thought I needed to add to the groundbreaking work Matt has done -- kind of an "OK, where do I start" kind of guide that would get a new recruit off and running.

Edge

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - Susanne - 02-22-2007

But guides for re-enacting other periods would be in order...

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - Arthes - 02-23-2007

Quote:But guides for re-enacting other periods would be in order...
The Hoplites tend to work backwards.....footwear comes lower on the list...hence being called hop-lites...
Chiton and cloak (for our wonderful British weather) are our first essentials. Of course, if you are a Spartan then you will probably choose the himation cloak - which should be kept tightly wrapped around you at all times and pinned discreetly in case of accidental looseness
In linen and wool only, the material needs to be seamed correctly if you are presenting an authentic image and trimmed/patterned appropriately for the role you are portraying. Scythians did not wear tight 'Down with Achilles' or 'Remember Troy' print leggings, contrary to popular belief...

Here endeth instalment one of Portraying Greeks of a Certain Kind....!
No, that sounds wrong.... :roll: The Art of Being an Ancient Greek or Their Allies and Enemies...a study in clothing, panoply, weaponry and accessories.

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - Magnus - 12-01-2007

Great list Edge...the only difference I have is that once the caligae, balteus, tunic and such are finished, I usually head right into the lorica. At least for things that are normally constructed on our own...the other stuff I leave up to the guys who are purchasing it to get it.

But I like the order you put the items in...builds up the necessary skills in an easy step by step fashion to tackle the next big project.

Re: Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting - Winter - 04-18-2008

I'm new to this as well. The best thing I did was join the nearest unit. The mighty Legio XIIII here in Wisconsin.

The wonderful folks here in my unit said pretty much the same thing. First items are Tunica, Balteus and Caligae. Once you have those three items you can relax at events without sticking out like a sore thumb and begin really learning.

And make sure you do your research before you purchase/make any items to make sure it's acceptable to the unit you will be working with. this will save time and money later on. I'm learning there are some really bad items to be had out there.

And I have to give big props to Mat Amt's site as well. He did a great job.

Wale