RomanArmyTalk
Late-Roman and East Roman Armour - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Late-Roman and East Roman Armour (/showthread.php?tid=7604)

Pages: 1 2

Late-Roman and East Roman Armour - SvenLittkowski - 12-01-2006

Hi!

I would be happy if people could post here photos of East Roman and Late West Roman armour, clothings, and weapons (AD 400 to AD 700)! Please add the exact time frame. Thanks!

Sven Littkowski

Re: Late-Roman and East Roman Armour - FAVENTIANVS - 12-01-2006

http://www.fectio.org.uk/shows/archeon2006.htm

And me again late 4th early 5th AD, the shield is western but the armor is eastern:

[Image: 2006archeon_Igermanica1.jpg]

Re: Late-Roman and East Roman Armour - aitor iriarte - 12-01-2006

Like this one? :lol:
[Image: Tarraco03_copia.jpg]
Anyway, late 4th- early 5th AD :wink:

Aitor

Re: Late-Roman and East Roman Armour - Tarbicus - 12-01-2006

"Twenty sesterces for the stone, and not a penny more! AGREED?"

Re: Late-Roman and East Roman Armour - SvenLittkowski - 12-01-2006

Aitor Iriarte:

What a terribe, bloody thing you have done! Just because they wanted to sell you something? So they paid with their lifes...
Nice clothing. Please tell me more about that clothing style.

Faventianus:

Please tell me more about your armor. And please send me hi-res photos to my e-mail address WITHOUT shield or with matching East Roman shield and weapons. Please send me different posings! I would appreciate it a lot. I need these photos to "man" my ancient ships...

EVERYONE:

If you want to see yourself "aboard" of ancient ships (Roman, West Roman, East Roman, Byzantine, Arabian, Indian, Gallic, Vandalic), then send me hi-res photos to my e-mail addresses (Send a PM to me).

I need varous posings, if possible a plain background, and clothings (civil or military) from those people and times...

Sven

Re: Late-Roman and East Roman Armour - Mithras - 12-01-2006

My impression: Western Empire circa 380-400AD

[Image: full-armour1.jpg]

And out of armour:

[Image: tunic3-1.jpg]

The best place to look for clothing ideas, in my opinion is the Villa Armerina mosaics; full of fantastic detail:

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/hunting_s ... sicily.htm

Sven,

We're wearing Late Roman military clothing. The tunics remained very similar from the very beginning of IVth century AD to the VIth. The cloaks' decoration, notwithstanding, changed. The style of the ones that Paul (he must have inherited it from his father :wink: ) and I'm wearing was no longer in use by late IVth century.
[Image: president.jpg]
Hey, they weren't trying to sell us anything! We left those soldiers guarding our stand and when we found them asleep, we punished them Tongue

Those wooden-framed ballistae were no longer in use by Theoderic's time. I would doubt to say that they reached or surpased IIIrd century AD :?

Aitor

They should be semi-circular, right?

Is that from artistic observations of wall-paintings, or from actual remains?

Quote:The cloaks' decoration, notwithstanding, changed. The style of the ones that Paul (...) and I'm wearing was no longer in use by late IVth century

Well, Paul, I wasn't talking about the shape but now that you mention it, I think that, alongside with simpler rectangular cloaks, Quality military cloaks were oval folded in two (hence: semicircular) in shape.
About decoration, those big orbiculi
[Image: Tribunus.jpg]
had been already changed for the first square tabliones by Theodosius the Great's time... :?
[Image: TeodosioA.jpg]

Aitor

Really? !

I was sure that the rectangular tabliones were 5thC ...

Fascinating!

And damn frustrating ... the Piazza Armerina mosaics are early-mid-4thC then?

Re: Late-Roman and East Roman Armour - SvenLittkowski - 12-02-2006

Mithras:

Thanks for the link. Indeed, it is not really a late-Roman villa, only AD 280 - AD 305. But truly, the details are interesting. I am more interested in clothings, weapons of AD 400 to AD 700, and even up to AD 1453 (Byzantine items).

Aitor Iriarte:

Great photos! Which periods are they from?

Best greetings,

Sven

Re: Late-Roman and East Roman Armour - Robert Vermaat - 12-02-2006

Quote:Thanks for the link. Indeed, it is not really a late-Roman villa, only AD 280 - AD 305.

That makes it a Late Roman villa. Big Grin

Re: Late-Roman and East Roman Armour - Mithras - 12-02-2006

Hang on, I'm getting my terminology muddled. I meant to say that I was sure cubiculi were 5thC ... which sounds right. The large tabliones on cloaks, yes I understood them to be used in the 4thC, but by seeing them on court officials, considered them high status.

Quote:I was sure that the rectangular tabliones were 5thC

Re: Late-Roman and East Roman Armour - Mithras - 12-02-2006

You are asking for alot of information. All I can do is point you in the direction of the Comitatus website which has many many photographs of Late Roman clothing and weaponry. www.comitatus.net

In particular, check the Late Roman page and look at Troop Types and also Arms and Armour, for lots of photographs of kit. Our dateline is AD400, but the kit is good right through the 5thC and through the 6thC.

Quote:Mithras:

Thanks for the link. Indeed, it is not really a late-Roman villa, only AD 280 - AD 305. But truly, the details are interesting. I am more interested in clothings, weapons of AD 400 to AD 700, and even up to AD 1453 (Byzantine items).

Aitor Iriarte:

Great photos! Which periods are they from?

Best greetings,

Sven