RomanArmyTalk
tribune helmet - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: tribune helmet (/showthread.php?tid=7545)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: tribune helmet - Robert Vermaat - 11-28-2006

Quote:You don't mean this kind of helmet do you?:
[Image: 551.jpg]
If I didn't know any better I'd say that was a Japanese helmet!! Confusedhock:

Re: tribune helmet - TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 11-28-2006

[Image: basilica_Emilia.jpg]

Valete,

Re: tribune helmet - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 11-28-2006

very nice helmet!! however i cannot make out if the thing has hinged cheek-protectors or not......

M.VIB.M.

PS i also thought the Phrygian! thanxxxxx

did have something very Japanese!

Re: tribune helmet - Tarbicus - 11-28-2006

Thanks Daniele, that's the one I mention from Imperium Legionis. Big Grin Do you know where it's from?

Re: tribune helmet - Uwe Bahr - 11-28-2006

Tarbicus quoted:
Quote:Thanks Daniele, that's the one I mention from Imperium Legionis. Do you know where it's from?

See my above comment:

Quote:BTW, Jim AKA Tarby,

I think the statue came from Rhodos. It is also depicted in Peter Connolly's 'Hannibal and the Enemies of Rome', but there is also not much information about the statue, and was also model for the cover of Osprey's 'Armies of the Carthaginian Wars'. But I don't have them at the hand now.

Greets - Uwe

Jef, You asked:

Quote:Thanks Uwe!

Do you have a link to a picture of the so called Thracian and hellenistic type you mean?

You don't mean this kind of helmet do you?:

Kind regards,

The picture that You displayed there - and which Vortigern assumed to be Japanese - shows not a Thracian helmet but a Phrygian of the type that was very popular in Alexander' s army.

I meant the helmet that can be seen on the photo of the statue of Drusus from the Cagliari Museum. You can see it on the ground beside Drusus' left foot. And as a possible example I showed the helmet from Tombak that resembles very strong to the helmet from Drusus' statue.

Greets - Uwe

Theo, You wrote:

Quote:Uwe,

That Thracian helmet really is a good candidate If the "visor" were turned up-side-down the helmet would look almost like the real thing : see ?

Actually, the crestbox, neckguard, and bowl shape would still make it a Greek version

You really made a good job with the photo, but You will have to declare and justify it to Antoninus Lucretius :wink: - see this very related topic:

link from old RAT

There he quoted:

Quote:... And no, it is not the proper attic shape. So far, all the attic style helmets I know of, including the later "proto-attic" or Guisborough type have the brow piece --the diadem like thingie-- integral with the helmet. Not slapped on like this one and all the other "Hollywood types" in circulation.

Greets - Uwe

Re: tribune helmet - Tarbicus - 11-28-2006

Sorry Uwe, I completely missed your post first time around.

Re: tribune helmet - TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 11-28-2006

Anyway Jim, that high officer statue is now at the Basilica Emilia in Roma.

Vale,

Re: tribune helmet - Marcus Mummius - 11-28-2006

Thanks guys. That statue is indeed great! I really like the helmet.

That helmet from Tombak looks very nice too.

Cry I really wished they'd be available on the market somewhere. You can't draw a good construction plan (interpretation of course as we haven't got a lot of info) of the helm on that statue, can you Jim? Smile I could then use this to start bothering every custom armourer I know. Perhaps one will make it for a good price... I really don't have the time to do one of those helmets myself. i have so much other reconstruction projects running at the moment...

I'll let you know of course if I find someone who would make it for a good price :wink:

Vale,
Jef

Re: tribune helmet - Marcus Mummius - 11-29-2006

Actualy the consul helmet by Terry Nix looks very much like the one in the Drusus statue... But that one doesn't have the appliquée figures.

[Image: 2115.jpg]

I'd very much like to see more views of this helmet... Does anyone have one from Terry perhaps? :?

Re: tribune helmet - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 11-29-2006

unfortunately i dont know anyone who has bought it....

M.VIB.M.

Backdraft - ambrosius - 11-29-2006

Quote:Uwe,

That Thracian helmet really is a good candidate :!: If the "visor" were turned up-side-down the helmet would look almost like the real thing : see ?
Big Grin D D D D D D D D D D D D D
[Image: thracian.jpg]

Actually, the crestbox, neckguard, and bowl shape would still make it a Greek version of an attic :wink:

Big Grin I'm just trying to supress a laugh, as I've a sneaking suspicion
that I've seen a lot of 19th c. Fireman's helmets in this design, which
mimic the Roman Attic ones. A giveaway is the 'badge' over the brow.

Confusedhock: Tongue roll:

Alternatively, it could belong to a Napoleonic Cuirassier... :wink:

Ambrosius

Re: tribune helmet - Tarbicus - 11-29-2006

Quote:You can't draw a good construction plan (interpretation of course as we haven't got a lot of info) of the helm on that statue, can you Jim? Smile
Hmmmm. I'm not sure Jef, as there's only the pic here, and the one in Imperium Legionis is from a low angle. The detail, no, to be honest, but I'm sure the general shape could be done. I have a really heavy work schedule right now, so I'd need to do it gradually.

It is a fantastic helmet, and I'd personally definitely use it for a tribune impression, if not a consul or legate. When I first saw it in the book I went "Wow!"

It's a shame the Nix helmet is cast, as the cheek pieces could be replaced with fully meeting custom ones. As I think it's safe to say that each tribune would have looked fairly individual then I'm sure that would be safe. If you gilded it with silver and gold leaf then it would be a real corker that would probably attract the same reaction today as was likely 2000 years ago. It just depends if you were willing to go with cast?

Why don't you talk to Terry Nix? He's a very communicative guy, and he was asking me a couple of years ago if I'd ever be interested in officer/tribune gear. He might well be up for looking into it at least?

Re: tribune helmet - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 11-29-2006

[Image: 2103.jpg]

is another very nice NIX helmet...

he suggests it might be higher officer's / Praetorian....

and here are some other nice ones by him!!!

[Image: TN801.jpg]

[Image: TN855t.jpg]

M.VIB.M.