RomanArmyTalk
Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Rules and Announcements (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT (/showthread.php?tid=7340)

Pages: 1 2

Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Praefectusclassis - 11-07-2006

We've discussed this new compendium before and were amazed at the price (GBP 95), although such prices certainly aren't unusual for academic books. Blackwell's has contacted us and offer a big discount to RAT members. Go to http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/9781405121538 and enter RMNA6 when completing your order. That will give you a 50% discount!

This offer is valid until the end of 2007. You can pre-order your copy now and it will be sent to you upon publication in February 2007. Blackwell's assure me your creditcard will not be charged until then.

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Caballo - 11-07-2006

Thanks, Jasper. Nice to see some RAT contributors in the contents!

A Companion to the Roman Army

Edited by: Paul Erdkamp (University of Leiden)
About the Author
Paul Erdkamp is Research Fellow in Ancient History at Leiden University. He is the author of Hunger and the Sword: Warfare and Food Supply in Roman Republican Wars (264-30 BC) (1998) and The Grain Market in the Roman Empire (2005) and the editor of The Roman Army and the Economy (2002).

Series: Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World

List of Figures
Notes on Contributors
Introduction
Part I: Early Rome:
1. Warfare and the Army in Early Rome: John Rich (University of Nottingham)
2. The Army and Centuriate Organization in Early Rome: Gary Forsythe (University of Lubbock)
Part II: Mid and Late Republic:
A. Battle, Tactices, and Legionary Structure
3. Army and Battle During the Conquest of Italy (350-264 BC): Louis Rawlings (Cardiff University)
4. The Age of Overseas Expansion (264-146 BC): Dexter Hoyos (University of Sydney)
5. The Late Republican Army (146-30 BC): Pierre Cagniart (Texas State University at San Marcos)
B. The Machinery of War
6. War and State Formation in the Roman Republic: Paul Erdkamp (University of Leiden)
7. Roman Manpower and Recruitment During the Middle Republic: Luuk de Ligt (University of Leiden)
8. Military Command, Political Power, and the Republican Elite: Nathan Rosenstein (Ohio State University)
9. Colonization, Land Distribution, and Veteran Settlement: Will Broadhead (University of Bristol)
10. Army and General in the Late Roman Republic: Lukas de Blois (University of Nijmegen)
Part III: The Empire (Actium to Adrianople):
A. The Structure of the Imperial Army
11. The Augustan Reform and the Structure of the Imperial Army: Kate Gilliver (University of Wales, Cardiff)
12. Classes. The Evolution of the Roman Imperial Fleets: D. B. Saddington (University of Witwatersrand, South Africa)
13. Battle, Tactics, and the Emergence of the Limites in the West: James Thorne (University of Glasgow)
14. The Army and the Limes in the East: Everett L. Wheeler (University of Durham, USA)
15. Strategy and Army Structure: Between Septimius Severus and Constantine the Great: Karl Strobel (University of Klagenfurt)
B. Military Organization
16. Military Documents, Languages, and Literacy: Sara Elise Phang (University of Kennsington)
17. Finances and Costs of the Roman Army: Peter Herz (University of Regensburg)
18. War- and Peacetime Logistics: Supplying Armies in East and West: Peter Kehne (University of Hannover)
C. Army, Emporer and Empire
19. The Roman Army and Propaganda: Olivier Hekster (University of Oxford)
20. The Army and the Urban Elite: A Competition for Power: Clifford Ando (University of Southern California)
21. Making Emperors. Imperial Instrument or Independent Force? Anthony R. Birley (University of Hexham)
D. Soldiers and Veterans in Society
22. Military Camps, Canabae and Vici. The archaeological evidence: Norbert Hanel (University of Koln)
23. Marriage, Families, and Survival: demographic aspects: Walter Scheidel (Stanford University)
24. Recruits and Veterans: Gabriele Wesch-Klein (University of Heidelberg)
25. The Religions of the Armies: Oliver Stoll (University of Mainz)
Part IV: The Late Roman Empire:
26. Warlords and Landlords: Wolf Liebeschuetz (University of Nottingham)
27. The Foederati: Timo Stickler (University of Wuerzurg)
28. Army and Society in the Late Roman World: A Context for Decline? Michael Whitby (University of Warwick)
29. Army and Battle in the Age of Justinian (527-565): Hugh Elton (British Institute of Archaeology at Ankara)
Index.

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Praefectusclassis - 11-07-2006

Well, the list is certainly impressive. Some big guns there! Prolly a 'must-have', full of footnotes. Sounds like a Christmas-present to me. Big Grin

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Praefectusclassis - 11-07-2006

And here it is!
Go to http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/9781405121538 and enter RMNA6 when completing your order. That will give you a 50% discount!

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Dan Diffendale - 11-07-2006

Splendid!

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Alexandr K - 11-07-2006

Hi,
huh, that's really generous!
Is there any deadline until that the order must be placed if I want the discount?
Greetings
Alexandr

Well, the disclaimer reads: "* subject to availability. Not available in conjunction with any other offer or discount", but I'll ask.

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Praefectusclassis - 11-08-2006

Updated the first post. See above.

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Alexandr K - 11-08-2006

Thanks Jasper.

Greetings
Alexandr

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Andrew - 11-08-2006

Thanks, this will be a great read.

Best A. Big Grin

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Praefectusclassis - 11-08-2006

It will be an academically satisfying read I'm sure. Dunno if that's what you meant Andrew... :wink:

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Tarbicus - 11-08-2006

The Army and Centuriate Organization in Early Rome!

Sounds like a page turner! Mine's ordered.

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Caballo - 11-08-2006

And mine! Thanks Jasper!

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - jvrjenivs - 11-08-2006

I also ordered a copy! Great offer.

I think it's nice to see what we can manage with this great community.

Re: Blackwell\'s Companion to the Roman Army DISCOUNT - Robert Vermaat - 11-08-2006

Too bad they covered 300 years of Late Roman army with just a few articles (one of which I already have)... Cry