RomanArmyTalk
Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare (/showthread.php?tid=7327)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Adam E. - 09-03-2010

While I'm at it, another curiosity. This is a fresco of St. George in rather strange 'armour'. Taken in the Ihlara Valley, Cappadocia. I can't remember the name of the church but it is just across the river from the Linseed House.

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Peter Raftos - 09-04-2010

Do you have a dating for these?
I would hazard a guess that the armour above is actually a kabadion and this is a tubular type of quilting.

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Adam E. - 09-04-2010

The frescoes date from the tenth and eleventh centuries. More from the same area (Church of St George).

Unfortunately they have been badly damaged. Interesting features: the 'Turk', the shield patterns, the split in the kremasmata, the horse harnesses and the knotted tail.

I actually have hundreds of images. I spent three months travelling around what was the Eastern Empire. I started in Venice, then Ravenna, Florence (it was on the way), Rome, worked my way down to Brindisi, crossed to Corfu and traveled around Greece (Ioannina, Kastoria, Thessaloniki, Meteora, Mystras, Athens, among others), then Crete, Cyprus and Turkey (Cappadocia and Thrace, mainly). I was armed with a cheap camera and a strange interest in all things Byzantine.

I don't want to clog up the forum with images, so I'm just trying to choose those that are military-related, interesting and that people may never have seen on the internet before.

Any requests for images from certain regions/churches, let me know.

Cheers

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Orlirva - 09-17-2010

Sound like a great trip! Any pictures of backs, especially of soldiers,that may show details ( fastenings etc) would be of great interest.
-Rick
Quote:The frescoes date from the tenth and eleventh centuries. More from the same area (Church of St George).

I actually have hundreds of images. I spent three months travelling around what was the Eastern Empire. I started in Venice, then Ravenna, Florence (it was on the way), Rome, worked my way down to Brindisi, crossed to Corfu and traveled around Greece (Ioannina, Kastoria, Thessaloniki, Meteora, Mystras, Athens, among others), then Crete, Cyprus and Turkey (Cappadocia and Thrace, mainly). I was armed with a cheap camera and a strange interest in all things Byzantine.
Cheers

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Adam E. - 09-17-2010

Alas, no. And trust me, I looked. There is no shortage of frescoes with highly detailed representations of belt buckles, scabbards, shield grips, etc., especially in churches like the Chora in Istanbul. Other than a couple of images of a 'buttoned-up' epilorikon, I didn't find find any images of how, say, a klivanion may have been secured.

The only images I know of that show how a cuirass may have been worn are from the Paris Psalter. These show a cuirass with laced sides.

I also found on the web a couple of Serbian frescoes that show soldiers' backs. Interestingly, they show a line from neck to waist. Others show a similar line at the front - fastening or decoration?

Cheers

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Orlirva - 10-25-2010

Even so, great Picts!
these I have not seen - I suppose I can see why the heavily defaced ones don't make it into art books, but many of these are +very+ interesting. Thanks again! -Rick

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - John Conyard - 12-01-2010

I was a Viking today, but eventually got snowed off. Then I went and had some fun.

This is on Fulford battlefield, 1066 and all that. But the idea was to be a Varangian, but rather than a member of the Emperor’s axe bearing guard this man is probably part of a band contracted for a set period like those brought to Byzantium by Harold Sigurdson.

[attachment=0:3uuhn63q]<!-- ia0 IMG_0022.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:3uuhn63q]

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-01-2010

Great picture! Is that you?

i was just wondering about an axe handle like that earlier today!
You are obviously the man to see!

What about Harold Hadradur?

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - John Conyard - 12-01-2010

I just bought some ash, and axed out a handle in next to no time at all. It was a fun thing to do. Big Grin

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-01-2010

Once I get the axe head I am after, i will have to get a decent bit.

An interesting article. http://www.valhs.org/history/articles/m ... ng_axe.htm

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Robert Vermaat - 12-02-2010

Quote:This is on Fulford battlefield, 1066 and all that.
Cool! I mean: cold! Great picture John.

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Urselius - 12-02-2010

In the series of three fresco photos the central one has a suggestion of the rider wearing a splinted greave - or is it just me?

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-02-2010

Yes, the second one. Certainly looks that way to me too!

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - Adam E. - 12-04-2010

Here's a better picture of the 'greave'. It's unfortunate that so many of the frescoes are in such a bad state.

When I get some time, I'll post a few images from other regions. I have quite a few images of greaves - though none of splinted construction like this.

Cheers

Re: Byzantine Weapons and Warfare - hoplite14gr - 03-14-2011

Byzantine Armor Reconstructions by D. Katsikis.