RomanArmyTalk
what is your favorite type of gladius? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: what is your favorite type of gladius? (/showthread.php?tid=7116)

Pages: 1 2

what is your favorite type of gladius? - TITVS PVLLO - 10-16-2006

which style gladius is your favorite?

hispaniensis?

mainz?

fulham?

pompeii?

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - tlclark - 10-16-2006

A sharp one. :wink:

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 10-16-2006

Because my group is in the mid-late 1st c I have a Pompeii gladius but my first choice was Mainz.

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - Matt Lukes - 10-16-2006

Pompeiensis definitely. The hispaniensis isn't 'Roman' enough, and I find the other 'Roman' ones, mainzensis and fulhamensis, a tad large and less-elegant than the pompeiensis, which is simple, elegant and right to the point (forgive the pun :lol: )

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - Gaius_Calvus - 10-16-2006

Mainz. Definitely the Mainz.

I am also a mid-first century re-enactor, but limiting yourself to a Pompeii presumes that all of a sudden, the Roman Army said "OK, lads, turn in your old gladii -- here are your new ones."

The US military does not do that (I'm in the US Army) and I don't see the Roman Army doing it, either -- not cost-effective. These gladii had to have been phased in over time, IMHO.

So, if you are thinking about which one to use for a particular period, I belive that you have a good bit of latitude, with in reason.

Calvus

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - stevesarak - 10-16-2006

It would have to be the Mainz, the brutality of the design encompasses the thinking and spirit of the old Republic. It was defiantly a weapon that reflected the time.

Let those that would defy Rome, beware.

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - Virilis - 10-16-2006

My choice is also the Mainz style gladius with one reservation: the tapering part of the tip should be at least one third of the whole length of the blade, otherwise it look strangely "stubby" in my opinion...

Has anyone else noticed those older Albion pompeii gladiuses with an abnormally short triangular tips? They look awful in my opinion :x ...

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - Magnus - 10-16-2006

I'll go pompeii...not as vicious looking as the Mainz, but I bet it's a lot easier to produce in larger numbers because of the simpler design. Plus it was the first type of roman sword I ever owned...so I have to go with the nostalgia of it all.

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - Robert Vermaat - 10-16-2006

Quote:A sharp one. :wink:

Oi! I was gonna say that! 8)

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - arklore70 - 10-16-2006

For Looks, the Mainz.

For balance and sheer effectiveness as a killing tool, the Pompeii. Maybe it is just the way it feels in my hand, but the Pompeii I have feels like an extension of my arm where the Mainz feels top heavy.

Just my humble opinion.

I like them all actually Smile

All great blades.

Mike

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - TraderTrey9785 - 10-17-2006

I think the Pompeii style is about as good as you can get...a very simple design, and when well handled, very effective. However, by design and just for sheer looks, I think the Fulham is perhaps the most beautiful. There is something about a "wasp-waisted" sword, as well as the width of the blade that is just intriguing.

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - markusaurelius - 10-18-2006

Pompeii for me. Good standard weapon.

Although I personally enjoy some of the later Century equipment and must say that the Legionary Spatha is intriguing as is the semi-spatha. A beautiful pattern welded blade!

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - Matthew - 10-18-2006

Gladius Hispanicus, just can't beat that old world feel...

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-26-2006

Mainz! Most definately.
I have two Albion Mainz Gladii, and while you could say their first was tip heavy, this is possibly bue to the grip being on the aneamic side.
On their most recent version, with a thicker grip, it is the perfect gladius.
Also, I love the waisted design!
The perfect weapon for a legionary.

B. Angel
S.P.Q.R.

Re: what is your favorite type of gladius? - SOCL - 10-26-2006

Pompeii, merely because of looks. :roll: