RomanArmyTalk
5th C. Western Roman Kits Persons Timeline Etc. (24 May 09) - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ancient Civ Talk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: 5th C. Western Roman Kits Persons Timeline Etc. (24 May 09) (/showthread.php?tid=7109)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

5th C. Western Roman Kits Persons Timeline Etc. (24 May 09) - Restitvtvs - 10-15-2006

Fifth century Western Roman civilian (monk, clerk/scribe) and military kit lists are below. Resumed intermittent research (changed 2010 Jan 24). For anyone interested, here are related subject links for:
(1) a long draft 5th c. "Romans, Allies & Enemies" character list; and
(2) a long draft 5th c. Western Roman Empire history timeline.

Pax, +r

5th C. Western Roman Civilian (and Military) Kit List

Personal Items:
Tunics: wool, linen; with full length sleeves, clavi & rondels (dyed, woven & embroidered), etc.
Focale: wool, cotton
Pants: linen, wool
Leggings: wool, cotton
Underclothing: linen
Sagum: wool (red)
Fibulae: paenular, cross
Balteus: leather with bronze
Caligae: leather, open, hobnails
Shoes: leather, closed
Hat: straw, bowl top, full & broad rim
Hygiene tools: styrgil, oil jug, ear & nail thingies, etc.
Money bag: leather
Walking stick: wood

Household Items:
Oil lamps: ceramic, iron, bronze
Pots & pans: copper, ceramic
Cups & dishes: ceramic
Glasses
Knives & spoons: iron

Professional Items:
Monk:
Tunic
Cowl
Rope belt
Cross, wood, lead, bronze
Books Bible, vulgate; Didache
Staff: wood
Clerk/Scribe:
Tabulae: wood and wax
Stylii: iron, bronze
Papyrus
Velum
Pen: wood shaft; iron, bronze nibs
Ink: soot, charcoal, gum arabic, water
Mortar & pestle: stone, bronze
Inkpots: ceramic, glass, bronze
Scrolls
Scroll seals
Capsa
Chair, folding
Writing desk, folding
Soldier/Infantry:
Helmet / Galea: ridge, Intercisa II, Intercisa IV, Burgh Castle
Pannonian Cap / Pileus Pannonicus
Scarf / Fascia Ventralis: wool, cotton
Tunic, heavier/stronger
Padding / Subarmlamis
Pteruges
Trousers / Bracae
Socks
Boots: leather/high
Chain mail / Lorica hamata
Scale armour / Lorica squamata
Cuirass: iron, bronze
Belt / Balteus: leather (medium width), with bronze stiffeners, rosettes
Sword / Spatha Semispatha
Lance / Contus
Spear, heavy thrusting / Hasta
Spear, throwing / Verrutum
Javelin, short / Lanceae
Darts / Plumbatae
Shield / Scutum / Clipeus: round, convex
Vexillum
Draco

Re: 5th C. Western Roman Kits Persons Timeline Etc. (24 May 09) - GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-15-2006

some civilians photo's

Many retouches have to be done, since of moment we have based on Teodora's mosaics, and some aspects concern S.VI,
Don't be if they will serve you...

[Image: SUSANNA1.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9805.jpg]

Re: 5th C. Western Roman Kits Persons Timeline Etc. (24 May 09) - GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-15-2006

Here with the court!
[Image: GallaplacidiaandValentinian.jpg]

And here you can see the evolution. The first one we have a few information, and you can see that is not an empress, she( or I.. jeje! )like more a lady of the court, but I encourage the people to have an idea to doing it, though later they have to be retouched or to re-do several sews, but at least, already a project begins, that often for fear you do not dare to do anything.
I admit that today I have to do many changes, but Galla Placidia already exists and it is the important thing!
[Image: gallaplacidiainicial.jpg][Image: AeliaGallaPlacidia.jpg]

Re: 5th C. Western Roman Kits Persons Timeline Etc. (24 May 09) - Restitvtvs - 10-16-2006

Estimada Carme: ¡Muchas gracias! ¡Mas puntos para Ud.!

Legio I Germanica's website is very impressive, with years of quality work going into the research, costumes, equipment, etc. Respectable standards. And the website links! What a time saver. Smile

Re: 5th C. Western Roman Kits Persons Timeline Etc. (24 May 09) - GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-16-2006

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!
This video is fantasitc!!! Big Grin Comerus , you can make another one!!!!
Laud for you!!!!!! :wink:
You devote yourself to the world of the image or do it for Hobie?

Restitvtvs: I have more pictures, and information, if you want something especial, say me something! :lol:

Thank You, Comerus - Restitvtvs - 10-16-2006

Comerus: WOW!!! Big Grin D D

You have an excellent knack for panning, music selection, timing, etc.

That's a 3-point, full-court shot. Big Grin

Thanks! r

Thank You, Galla Placidia - Restitvtvs - 10-16-2006

Thank you, Galla Placidia, for your gracious offer.

Yes, I will ask!

1) I will finish going through the Legio I Germanica website to download everything possible! Big Grin That will take some time!

2) I will go back to other websites to see what new things they may have.

3) I will make my wish list!

I look forward to returning the favors during the next year or so. I think that the basic St. Jerome kit will only take about six to nine months to complete. As you have previously indicated, it's better to start with something, than to wait until the full, fancy kit is complete (is it ever really 100% complete? :lol: )

Thank again! Pax vobiscvm, +r

Re: 5th C. Western Roman Kits Persons Timeline Etc. (24 May 09) - Robert Vermaat - 10-16-2006

Quote:Aaah! I hate to show you this incomplete video-clip...

Ah, very nice!

Re: Thank You, Galla Placidia - GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-16-2006

Quote: As you have previously indicated, it's better to start with something, than to wait until the full, fancy kit is complete (is it ever really 100% complete? :lol: )
Thank again! Pax vobiscvm, +r
Yes, I think that we must be brave and not to have shame of the work that we do, because, everything is improvable, for very well that you begin, and besides, the difficult thing always is a challenge, and the life without challenges...I am philosophizing too much....
Thanks for the web, but in a few time we will made changes: more photos, and more text. More didactic!!!

St Jerome Kit Research - Restitvtvs - 10-17-2006

Great Saint Jerome image website (in Portuguese & other languages) with many historic images (often referenced):

http://st-hieronymus.blogspot.com/

Discussion welcome on the historically accurate elements of these artworks.

Personally, I prefer the low budget St. Jerome kit: Crucifix, cave, skull, rock, book, and blanket. Must be careful with this impression, to avoid the unbearable.

5th Century Western Roman Civilian Kit - Restitvtvs - 10-17-2006

Found good online sources to more directly answer my personal questions related not only to Roman and Late Roman reenactment and living history, but also to daily personal life and professional work.

Saint Asterius of Amasea (born ca. 350, died ca. 410), like Saint Jerome of Stridon (born ca. 347, died 420), criticized people's and the church's religious wealth and extravagance as vain and worldly distractions from living virtuous and spiritual principles, and to the neglect of and at the expense of our less fortunate brothers and sisters of all ages.

From: Asterius of Amasea's sermon 1 "The Rich Man and Lazarus", scattered throughout: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/f ... rmon1.html

From Jerome's "Against Jovinian", near the end: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/j ... riage.html

These 4th/5th century Late Roman authors' comments are related to earlier Biblical scriptures:

Matthew 6:19-21 (New International Version)
Quote:19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Luke 16:19-31 (New International Version):
Quote:The Rich Man and Lazarus

19"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell,[c] where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

25"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

27"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

29"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'

30" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'

31"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "
Luke 18:18-30 (New International Version):
Quote:18A certain ruler asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

19"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone. 20You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.'[b]"

21"All these I have kept since I was a boy," he said.

22When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

23When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth. 24Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! 25Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

26Those who heard this asked, "Who then can be saved?"

27Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God."

28Peter said to him, "We have left all we had to follow you!"

29"I tell you the truth," Jesus said to them, "no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God 30will fail to receive many times as much in this age and, in the age to come, eternal life."
1 Peter 3:3-4 (New International Version):
Quote:3Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. 4Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
In consistent conclusion, regarding 5th century Western Roman kits, my personal choice: Keep it simple! Big Grin

Re: 5th C. Western Roman Kits Persons Timeline Etc. (24 May 09) - GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-17-2006

Flavius Honorius (born 384, died 423).
It's a modern painting, 1883;

[Image: waterhouse_honorius.jpg]
I like very much this painting!!!!

Re: 5th C. Western Roman Kits Persons Timeline Etc. (24 May 09) - Paulus Claudius Damianus - 10-17-2006

Great! Galla Placidia I like very much the imperial court work by you and the Prima Germanica.

Re: St Jerome Kit Research II - GALLA PLACIDIA - 10-18-2006

St Jerome from Leonardo da Vinci

[Image: P-Jerome.jpg]